Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The White House


To get a White House tour, you have to go through background checks and who knows what else to be allowed in, and rightly so.  Throughout the whole process all the information I received was that there were no camera's allowed, no bags, purses, no nothing.  Basically we were allowed to keep our clothes on and because they are oh-so-kind, we were allowed our shoes too.  Oh and we could have a cell phone, but it could not be used and if you did it would be confiscated never to be returned.

So in light of all the warnings about what you couldn't bring into the White House we went with nothing but our cellphones.

When we arrived at the White House, you go through several different check points and as you finally make your way into the building I noticed that many people had camera's and were taking pictures of the the rooms.  We found out that for the month of December, you can bring your camera's and even use them!  Nice, thanks for the notice AFTER I LEFT MY CAMERA BACK AT THE HOTEL!   So I blame the government for this batch of crazy bad photos.

Since I had my not-so-smart-phone, I hauled that out and took some really horrible pictures.  I think that was one of the only times I wish I had an iphone.  The pictures are so blurry and leave a lot to be desired, but at the end of the day, I am thankful that I had something to capture the memories with.
The big black and white thing Jilli is standing by is supposed to be the White House dog.

Here are just some of the rooms and how they had them decorated.

This is one of the halls that you walked down.  As you can see from the picture there were quite a few people who must of passed their background checks too.  I was slightly surprised to see so many "good people" all in Washington at the same time.

Seal of the President of the Untied States.

The kids and I in front of one of the many Christmas trees.



There was a man playing a really beautiful piano as the "tour" came to an end.  And since I mentioned the "tour" it has really changed since I was last in the White House.  Gone are the days when someone walks you around and explains the rooms and gives you some history on what happened where.  Now you get handed a "booklet" and you are supposed to read it as you walk through.  Yeah... I like to read, but really... I was not a fan of "self-guided" tour.  Apparently my kids weren't either, because they all said that the White House was a let down and they much preferred the Capital Building.  Good thing my Mom was along for the "booklet reading tour" and gave us little facts as we walked along.

I wonder what famous people have played this piano... I would have asked my tour guide...
Here are just some pictures I quick took as we left the White House.  Sorry that Micah and Jill's pictures are tipped the wrong way.  I'm too lazy to delete it, fix it, and then re-upload it.  Too much work people, just turn your heads sideways like I know you all do when looking at a sideways picture.

That concludes your White House tour, I hope you enjoyed it.  If nothing else, my kids will now be able to say that they were in the White House and there are pictures to prove it.

No comments: