Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The End of Fayette

I'm back to hopefully finish up something I started back in December of last year.  Yikes, just saying that makes me feel so far behind (which I know I am).

Ok, so do you remember that little historic town I was telling you about (in December).  Fayette.  LOVE this place and today I am going to show you the last of the beautiful little town that captured my heart over a year and a half ago.

Most of the buildings are open for you to go into.  This building was to town's theatre, music hall, source of entertainment.  Back in the day, there would be groups of people that would tour and put on little productions for the town they were visiting.  When one would make it to Fayette, this is the place where they would perform.
 The townsfolk would sit on the wooden benches and enjoy time away from the very hard life they lived.  You could walk behind the stage and there was an area that the performers would change costumes, or wait for their part in the performance.  But it is here that they would sign their names to the walls and the dates that they were there.
 Remembering that this is the pre-electric era, there were gas lights that hung from the ceiling to light the room.  I can only imagine that they were not very bright.  If I remember right there were only 2 or 3 that hung from the ceiling.
 In the butcher shop there was a sign that listed the names of workers, how much they made, how many there were in the family, what they bought, and how much they paid per month for their food.  It was very interesting to see who bought what and how much they spent.  The variety we have now is amazing compared to what they had back then.

 And we come back to the very intriguing Hotel... Why this building fascinates me so...  I looked up some info on the hotel and found out that...  In 1884, hotel keeper James Trembath buried his wife and two children, Lillie (age 13) and Fred (age 4) within weeks of each other—all victims of typhoid fever.
I found the 1880 Census, so 4 years before the deaths, and it shows that James and Grace had at least two older sons.  It also showed 16 other people that were in residence at the hotel at that time.  The next time I spotted James was the 1900 census and he was living with a family by the name of Flynn.  I wish I knew more of his story.  What I know, sounds dreadfully heartbreaking.

Well, that's the end of Fayette.  A town that captured my imagination and heart.  A place that I hope to explore more in the coming years.




No comments: