I have been pondering the pull that grabs at my heart to a little campground called Aune Osborn. It is not an overly beautiful park, besides the river. There isn't this grand playground for the kids and although the bathrooms are very nice, they are just bathrooms. I think it is the pull to see the low rumbling machines that move quietly through the water.
![]() |
| St. Clair |
When you have been bitten by the bug, you tend to stop everything you are doing just to watch one move by. You can't help it. It's just what happens.
You also try and take pictures of every one you see. Each vessel has different characteristics. You learn them, you love them.
![]() |
| Michipicoten |
You take off at neck-breaking speeds to make it to the observation deck before the next vessel gets to the Locks.
As one ship exits...
![]() |
| American Century |
![]() |
| Paul R. Tregurtha |
The Paul R. Tregurtha is the largest vessel sailing the Great Lakes. She is 1013ft 6in. long and 105ft wide. The Poe Lock is only 110ft wide, it is amazing to watch her pull into the locks with only feet to spare on both sides.
We all smile no matter how many times we watch, no matter how many different ships we watch.
After the excitement is over, you drive back to your perch on the rivers shore and wait for the next ship and the craziness starts all over again.
Blessings!!












3 comments:
Ok - fellow boatnerd here. What kind of boatnerd are you that spells both the American Century and the Paul R. Tregurtha wrong on their blog? Sorry, couldn't resist Anyway, - did I tell you that as we speak Nicholas' favorite the Lee A Tregurtha, Paul's new favorite the Saginaw and the biggest Paul R. Tregurtha are all at the locks.....and the Edwin H Gott just went upbound under the bridge (an yes, I knew this before I saw your blog, Nicholas and I looked before he went to bed) Oh to be back there again :)
The kind of Boatnerd that was trying to type this while making dinner, serving dinner and cleaning up from dinner. My fingers were typing faster than my eyes were reading. Forgive my mistakes. They are now fixed. And just for the record, I saw the Tregurthas and Saginaw were all at the locks too. Saw my Gott and wished I was back up there for the salute that was a few hours away. :(
I'm glad we didn't need those heavy coats this year!!
Post a Comment