Friday, October 28, 2011

Point Iroquois

I love lighthouses.  I love the history that is wrapped up in them.  I have a dream of visiting/seeing/photographing all the lighthouses in Michigan and I am well on my way.

Point Iroquois Lighthouse is special.  Not only can you explore the keepers quarters, you can climb the tower and it was (at least last year) free.  It is a beautiful lighthouse and the keepers quarters are full of pictures, stories and history of Point Iroquois Lighthouse.

Jilli stopped on her way up the tower to look out the window, I snapped this as she turned around to finish her climb.
The first lighthouse was constructed in 1855.  Then in 1870 they completely rebuilt the house and tower and in 1902 they added a two-story rectangular house for the assistant lighthouse keepers' residence.

There was a group of children that also lived at the lighthouse so the government sponsored a school at the point.  The local fisherman sent there children there for school as well.  How cool would that be... to go to school at a lighthouse!



The kids in the tower, it was a very sunny day!
 Its a beautiful location and a beautiful lighthouse, the tower stands 65 ft tall.  You have to climb 72 steps to get there and at the top you have a panoramic view of all things beautiful.  You can see almost all of the Whitefish bay coastline, miles and miles of Lake Superior, and Canada.
This is for my fellow Boatnerd, who shall remain nameless, but has a "thing" about climbing lighthouses.  Just thought I would show him what it looks like as you climb your way up...
...and what it looks like from the tower *wink* ;)
I have lots more pictures to share from Point Iroquois... stay tuned!

Blessings!!

2 comments:

Mom P. said...

Do we have to wait a year before we get the adventures from this years journeys to the Crisp Point? LOL!!

Van Wesep Ventures said...

You have me laughing - and so is my boatnerd husband :)