Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Beautiful Ears

My son, my beautiful son, comes up to me today and states that he is ugly. Ummm..... I tell him that he is beautiful, that he is created just the way God wanted him to be. He tells me that his ears are too big. That they look like Dumbo's ears and he wants to cut them off. He says they stick too far out from his head. YIKES!! I expected stuff like this from Jilli but not from my son!

Kevin comes home and I have my son tell him what he told me. He repeats his complaints and then said he wants to cut them off. Kevin lovingly tells him how handsome he is, that his ears don't stick out, that he is perfect just the way God made him and then he says only what a Father can say.... "but if you want to, you can cut them off." Panic shoots through my heart, out of all my children this is the one you DON'T want to challenge in this way. Kevin then proceeds to tell him that it will be very painful and there will be lots of blood.

I would have never taken this approach, but it seemed to make him stop and think that maybe his ears were OK, just the way they were.

About an hour later, the boys were upstairs in their room together. I was going through their schoolwork and all of a sudden I hear Tyler start to cry/scream. My heart stopped. He didn't really try..... He comes running down the stairs holding the side of his head... There is blood dripping through his fingers, running down his hand. I turn white.... my breathing escalates... I am thinking that I hope my kids remember how to dial *911 cuz I am about to pass out!

Normally, this kind of stuff doesn't bother me. I saw lots of stuff in the Doctors office and nothing ever effected me the way this did.

Micah came down the stairs asking Tyler if he was OK. I quickly ask Micah to grab me some paper towel. He came with half the roll flying behind him as he ran it to me. Tyler removed his hand and I quickly started to apply pressure to the wound, which was thankfully a little scrape just above his ear. Apparently my boys got in a little shoving match. Which is kind of funny because just a few hours earlier I was having a conversation with a friend about how sometimes our lives can be portrayed as wonderful, beautiful, fun filled lives with nothing amiss or even slightly ugly. And... w.a.l.l.a.h... this happens. My perfect, never do anything wrong children, were fighting pushing each other and one winds up with a head injury.

Thankfully Tyler didn't try to cut his ears off, but I am still in a quandary with what to do about the negative views of his ears. I look at him and his ears are perfect for his funny, sweet, smart, fiery, strong-willed, sensitive, handsome little boy. And as I go over in my mind what to do to help Tyler find peace with his ears, I can't help but feel again, overwhelmed by this amazing job of being a mother. But as I was reminded today by my pastor, that all things are possible with God (spoken from a man who has 6 kids). All I have to do is start my conversation with Him about Tyler's ears and I know that He will be there for me, answering my prayers.
You know, my heart really breaks for my child, the one who I carried under my heart for 38 weeks. The one who I fed, bathed, rocked, sung to, kissed, hugged, and loved on for the last 6 (almost 7) years and if I feel this way... how much more Our Father feels the pain of the lie that Tyler is believing. To think that Tyler is anything but beautiful is just too much for this mind to comprehend... so I'm not even going try... HE IS BEAUTIFUL... enough said.

Blessings!!

No comments: