It has been a long time. I almost forgot what it felt like. 12 years ago, I wouldn't have thought it was possible, but life has a way of taking normal and making it forgotten. This past weekend forgotten was realized...again
My parents very graciously took our three munchkins camping this past weekend. Two weeks ago it was our 12th anniversary. I spent the weekend sleeping and dizzy, Kevin spent the weekend taking care of me and three kids. Happy Anniversary...not. So this past weekend was a wonderful gift to us.
We spent the weekend just being together. After my Dad picked up the kids, Kev and I just came back inside sat down, grabbed our computers and spent the next hour doing nothing. How is it that two people who have been married for 12 years, can't find anything better to do than to lose themselves in the black hole of the internet?
We decided to go to Sonic for dinner. It just opened here last month and we wanted to give it a try. We drove the Mustang...we might as well take full advantage of being childless. Sonic was packed, there was a "staging area" with about 50 cars... We decided to have dinner next-door at Stake and Shake. Walked in the doors to see Kevin's parents having dinner. We sat at a table with them and had a double date.
After dinner we drove out to Grand Haven, parked the car and started to walk. That is when it happened... Very gently my hand was held, fingers began to entwine with mine...it had been so long...we walked holding hands, watching people, talking about the funny couple who were sitting together huddled with their winter jackets, looking like they were freezing (and no it wasn't cold enough for winter jackets). Years...it had to be years, since we walked and talked like that. My hand never leaving his...It was wonderful. He even held my hand driving home, I can't remember the last time we sat in a car holding hands.
How is it that such a little gesture gets missed? Is it because my hands are usually filled with children's hands, dirty dishes, or a dog leash? Is it because we allow other "worldly" things to occupy our hands...like phones and computers instead of the hand of the person who matters most to you?
Saturday we worked in the yard together. I finished getting my garden ready for planting, Kevin trimmed the trees and changed out some old hose holders. We just enjoyed our day, working and talking without any interruptions. We cleaned up and went out for an early dinner. Had an absolutely wonderful time at the Blue Water Grill, then decided to drive back out to Grand Haven. Again, my hand was held while driving. Then walking hand in hand looking at all the boats. We even stayed to watch the musical fountain, I don't think we have ever done that. How special our time together was.
Then all too quickly our time alone was gone. Time to get the kids back from Mom and Dad and let them, have a rest. It was wonderful to get kisses and hugs from our babes, and all too quickly, my hands were filled up with the things that are so very important, but also get in the way of remembering who held my hand first, in the very beginning. Back when riding in the car holding hands was normal. Walking hand in hand was a daily occurrence. When life didn't hold so many responsibilities and distractions.
It is very easy to see how two people can slowly pull away from each other, when they don't get time to hold each others hand...
1 comment:
I've got to say, this is the best blog I think you've ever written. I'm so happy for both of you.
Post a Comment