Several months before this appointment, I had a random conversation with a client I clean for. I was telling him how much we love camping in the UP and one of our favorite things is to go to the Soo Locks to watch the freighters go through. He told me to let him know the next time we were up there and he would arrange for us to have a tour of the Locks. He works for the government and part of his jurisdiction was the Locks.
Fast Forward to the morning we left for the UP... We were finally cleared to be able to have the tour (it took a few weeks to be cleared), my client emailed me the name of the person who would be giving us the tour, the time and place we were to meet him. Nothing like coming down to the wire!
It was 3:15pm, we were waiting to leave the campground and head up to the Locks.
![]() |
| Tyler and PopPop |
![]() |
| Paul getting better view |
It was just after 4pm that we were cleared at the guard station and our tour guide rode up on one of those carts that they drive around on.
We are buzzed through a gate and started walking up to the MacArthur Lock. When the doors of the lock are closed it makes the bridge to cross over. The Algolake was in the MacArthur lock heading Upbound.
![]() |
| Mesabi Miner just entering the Poe Lock |
We enter the Stone Administration building and was shocked at the beauty within.
We went out the other side of the Administration building to get a peek at the Mesabi Miner that was making her way into the Poe Lock. Had I reached over the railing I could have touched the side of her as she moved through. It was an amazing sight.
![]() |
| Look how close the Mesabi is the the rail. |
Then we start making our way down lots and lots of stairs. Through water tight doors.
Well, I am going to sign off here, otherwise this is going to be a really long post. There is so much more from this tour that I want to show you. Until next time...
Blessings!!













No comments:
Post a Comment