Saturday, January 9, 2010

Pain in the Elbow

Last night we picked up the kids from the "babysitters house" and Jilli was complaining that her arm hurt. We couldn't figure out what had happened or how she injured it. She was literally just sitting on the floor with her hand tucked between her legs when she just started to cry and say her arm hurt.

We took her home and of course had to baby her some. Poor thing was in PAIN! I gave her some REALLY good meds and she went off to sleep, stacked up on two pillows for the princess' comfort (Daddy's doing :-)

As I was talking on the phone telling my friend what happened she said she thought it was a dislocated elbow. She hopped online and started to read me all the symptoms and I was sure that is what Jilli had. I quietly went into her room and pulled back the covers. her little arm was gently laying across her stomach with her other hand protectively covering it. I gently lifted her arm, held her elbow, extended her arm (palm up) and SNAP, POP went her elbow. She cried out in her sleep. I gently put her arm back on her tummy and quietly walked out the door, a little freaked out at what I had just done.

My friend and I hoped and prayed that what I did was put her elbow back in place, not cause more damage. About 5am Jilli came up to my side of the bed and said "Mommy, my arm is all better!" then I replied "Praise the Lord!" I let her climb into bed and snuggle down in between her Momma and Daddy.
When she got up this morning she was completely fine. No issues and I have to give praise to God for that. I was seeing a trip to the ER in our future, and not knowing how we were going to pay for it, I was worried. But God provided for us without having to go to the ER.

Blessings!!


4 comments:

Kaira said...

I gotta say, you have some super smart friend! She's a keeper :)

a barron said...

Wow! This happened with my son Benjamin when he was 2 or 3. I was attempting to leave Blockbuster, and he didn't want to go. I was holding his hand and "guiding" him towards the door while he was pulling back. I never heard his elbow pop out of joint, but he was in so much pain I took him to the Urgent Care office. They popped it back in. They said they see it a lot and they sometimes call it "Nursemaids elbow" because it happens when Moms or "nursemaids" are holding a uncooperative childs hand. I was scared they would think I was abusing him...

Crazy that Jill's popped out so easy! She wasn't even having a tantrum!

It's great when our kids acknowledge God as a healer...you're teaching her right!

Van Wesep Ventures said...

Same here - Nicholas did it twice and Gabrielle once. Same as Dorie: I was holding their hand and they pulled away and started to cry. With the Nicholas the first time I was struggling with what to do. He was quite young and didn't think he could be faking. With him - it popped back in when I lifted his arm to put his pajamas on. I didn't hear it pop out, but I sure heard it pop back in. So, when it happened again I didn't panic as quickly and it popped back in too.

Glad everything turned out OK.

Anonymous said...

your "babysitter" was telling me that story.... I'd look into to new sitters : )~

-Kelli