Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Pickles and a Trophy

Here is the much anticipated blog that Kevin has been waiting for....


Saturday Kevin entered his first Judged Auto Show. It was something he had been looking forward to for a long time. The show was in Indiana, there was a group of mustangs that were meeting up to drive down caravan style (that alone was something that Kevin was excited to do). Well, he woke up at 6am Saturday morning, to......RAIN!


Any of you who know Kevin and his car, knows you do not drive it in rain, it doesn't get rain on it....this car has been rained on probably less than 6 times in it's "lifetime". So what do you do??? He crawled back in bed all disappointed. Now, I had two choices. 1. tell him I was sorry that it was raining and maybe he can go next year. 2. tell him I have plans for that day and they don't include him so he better go.


I choose #2. I had plans and I instinctively knew that if he didn't go he would be depressed for the rest of the day. What was a little rain, he could dry it off and besides, all the other cars were being driven in the rain, why couldn't he?


He got all excited again and flew out of bed and sped out of the house at record breaking speed to make it to the "meeting place" in time.

While it poured here all day, it cleared up in Indiana about 11:30am. It was a "perfect day for a show" per Kevin. Cloudy, not too hot. He had a great time conversing with other Mustang lovers. Got a lot of pointers on what he can do to "improve" the car and was told over and over what a great car he had.


Kevin entered the car to be judged by people who came to the show instead of the judges, and in the end he brought home a 3rd place trophy. After all the judging happened one of the judges (the people actually trained to look over the cars) came up to Kevin and went over the car like she was judging it and told him where he would have gotten points and where he would have lost points. When it was all said and done the judge said that had he entered his car to be judged, by the judges, he would have taken home second place. Needless to say he came home really happy.

On to my day....My plans that "didn't include Kevin", included spending the day with my sister. My parents came over to watch the kids "for about and hour" while Laur and I ran some errands. Except the "for about an hour" turned into 6 hrs by the time they left. Oops, good thing they love to spend time with their girls and grand kids :-)


As you all know I planted a garden for the first time this year. I guess I have a really green thumb when it comes to cucumbers. They love my organic soil and I can't get them to stop growing. The first harvest I picked 17. I have picked a few after that and then Friday I went out there to see if there was any ready and I came in with 31. HELLO PEOPLE 31!! What am I going to do with 31 cucumbers? Pickle them. I had bombarded my Mom with all these "canning" questions on Friday and we found a recipe that we both liked (dill of course) and she said that Saturday she could help me get started. By the time Laurie and I got back home after our errands my Mom and Dad had 5 quarts done and needed more supplies for the rest of the 7 quarts.


I finished helping can the cucumbers, cleaned up the kitchen, Mom and Dad left and Kevin came home. What a full day! Kevin got his first car trophy and I was shown how to can produce from my garden, it was a good day.

Blessings!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like pickles :)

Kerri