Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Raisin Bran Crunch

Something happened a few weeks ago, that has caused some slight problems in our household. The child safety locks were taken off the lazy-susan cabinet. It happened very suddenly (I believe it was a Sunday morning..before leaving for church). When we arrived home from church, I went to push the little button and it wasn't there. I at first was not concerned as to the implications this would have on our family. But during the first week of having it off, it became apparent to me that the sudden removal of those pesky little locks, had a huge impact on life as I knew it.

In the mornings, I try and shower before Jilli gets up, or I have to wait until after breakfast has been eaten and all cleaned up. Anything in between is a recipe for disaster. This particular morning I had fed the kids and went upstairs for my shower. I left the kids all watching a TV show, something that normally would keep them busy. When I came down the stair 30 min later (yes, it only takes me 30 min to get ready now b/c of my nice short haircut), I discovered that my daughter had gotten hungry again and decided to take it upon herself to get some Raisin Bran. The only problem is she used the floor as her bowl.

I couldn't believe the mess. Then I wondered why one of the boys wouldn't have come upstairs and tell me what Jilli was doing. Any other time they tell me when one of their siblings are up to no good. What I concluded was that I had never laid the ground rules for the cereal and crackers that are kept in the lazy-susan. Since it had always been "locked up" I have never thought to tell them that they couldn't grab that stuff at will. You can believe we now have some tough rules in place. They touch anything in that cabinet without asking, all treats are taken away for the next two days. I have yet to have to follow through on the new rule!


The other part of this story....I made Jilli clean it all up, she did a really good job for a 2 yr old. This is why it is so important to teach your kids at a young age how to clean. At some point it will come back to help you.



Blessings!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I think I would have some sort of break down if this were the scene in my living room. Congrats to you for grabbing your camera instead!