Saturday, April 19, 2008

Earfquack--Tyler style

So how early did your day start yesterday?? Mine started at 5:36am with Tyler calling for me in a very scared voice over and over (Mommy..Mommy..Mommy). I ran into his room and he was huddled in the corner of his bed (top bunk) scared. When I asked him what scared him, he told me "that sound". It was then that I realized that the lampshade was banging back and forth. I stopped it, the lampshade started banging again, I stopped it again and told him it was OK, then he said "and of course I need to go potty". After going to the bathroom he climbed in bed with me because he was too scared to go back to his bed.

I couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up and had some quiet time. Kevin soon was up and not long after Tyler came downstairs and asked why I haven't gone back upstairs yet. That little stinker never went back to sleep! and about 2 minutes later, Micah came downstairs (it is now 6:30am). Thank goodness Jilli decided to sleep in.

I had read that there was an earthquake when I had hopped online yesterday morning, but never put it together with Tyler's banging lampshade until I spoke with my mother-in-law around 8:30am. After I spoke with her, I called Kevin to tell him what it was that scared Tyler and he said when I went running to get Tyler he felt the bed shaking, he said it felt weird and lasted for about 12-15 sec. He thought I was shaking the floor/bed when I was running to Tyler. Ha! I said thanks a lot! I know that I am not a spring chicken anymore, but really! I kind of got a kick out of the whole thing...I thought it was wind even though there wasn't any breeze outside (the windows were open and the ceiling fan was on) and Kevin thought his wife's running could shake a whole house...I am chalking it up to the fact that it was just after 5:30am and we were both sleeping (our brains were not yet functioning) when it all went down. I never did feel it, which I am kind of disappointed about (I was too busy running to my child).

After learning what happened the kids and I had a good lesson in Geography (where it happened), Science (cause and effect), History (when the last large earthquake happened), and language arts (how do you spell earthquake). It was a great teaching experience. Homeschooling really is the best (for us). The kids can learn about anything at a moments notice, and I am not tide to lesson plans and time frames.

So, did any of you feel the earthquake? I opened my comments back up. hopefully the people that were bugging me before have moved on, so leave me your stories...especially you Tim, the kids thought it was cool that it happened in your state.

Blessings!

Oh, I just have to post that this morning the trees have started to popped their leaves! I was running this morning and noticed that all around the neighborhood. What a welcomed sign from God, that winter is finally over! The kids are going to have another science lesson....on a Saturday!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I hate to say it Lyn, but apparently there have been TWO earthquakes that were felt and one aftershock. I think both earthquakes happened around 400-500AM- You know me...didn't feel a thing-didn't hear a thing. I slept like a baby! Sorry.