Early Friday morning I got the call that we were on "Baby Watch"... Melissa's water broke and she would be heading to the hospital around noon.
Tim kept us all up to speed as to what was happening until about 2pm when he handed the updates over to Sissy (Melissa's sister). She kept us in the loop until this little miracle was born.
All day Friday I felt as if I was walking around in a fog. I kept thinking and praying for Tim and Melissa and the baby girl they were about to have. I remember the excitement and fear of not knowing what to expect when delivering your first baby.
Sissy did a great job of controlling my whole day! The technology now is so much different then when my babies were born, we were kept up to speed, in real time, with pictures and quick updates. Instead of listening to the radio while doing errands, I had my phone in my hand waiting for Siri to read me the latest update. I felt anxious when Sissy updated that the contractions were getting stronger and they had to wait for the epidural, then relief when the text came that she finally got it. She sent pictures showing Tim's face as Melissa worked through a painful contraction. She sent a picture of Melissa all hooked up to machines looking at the ultrasound of her baby girl...
Then the text that Melissa was at 9.5cm came. I literally sat down at my table and started crying. Time was almost here. Then a very short time later came the text "bAby is coming!!!! getting ready to push!!" I just sat and prayed, crying the whole time. Such a special time and scary... you never know what is going to happen.
Just after 5:15pm came the text "welcome to the world baby vandyk!!!" along with this picture.
My brother holding her hand... so precious... so sweet...
Later we learned that there were some complications in delivery. The only indication to us that something had happened was Sissy's text "I'll let melissa and Tim fill you in on the details - melissa is a fighter!!!" They had to quickly get the baby out because her heart rate was going too low with every push. She came out in a kind of traumatic and very painful (for Melissa) way.
Since that day, we get daily pictures or video's for those of us that are too far away to visit. I had to laugh at a video they sent us as they were getting ready to leave the hospital. Tim was checking the 5 point harness on the car seat with his little girl strapped in it. 6 times, he adjusted it to make sure it was perfect! It cracked me up! He is not protective of his little girl at all!
So do you want to know what her name is? Katalina Helena. A perfect name, for a perfect little girl.
It is a name that both the Peruvian and Dutch relatives can pronounce (Lol!!) We are to call her Lina (Lee-na).
She is so precious...so perfect... I can't get over how beautiful she is. The other night while I FaceTimed with Tim and Melissa I asked them who she looked like. I totally see Melissa in her cheeks and mouth. They agreed but said that she has Tim's nose, eyes, and forehead. It will be exciting to see how she changes over the next few weeks.
Dear Lina,
I have yet to meet you, but you already take up residence in my heart. The day I found out about you your Mommy and Daddy FaceTimed your Uncle Kevin and I. I was so excited, I cried. From that day forward I prayed for you. At first I didn't know if you were a boy or a girl, but then on July 4th, 2013 your Mommy and Daddy opened a box with pink balloons in it. From that day on I prayed about their little baby girl.
You aren't even a week old yet, but I can already tell you have your Daddy wrapped around your finger. Wait to smile at your Daddy for the first time until you really want something big. That first smile holds a lot of power. I can tell you those things because I am your Aunt. Your Daddy will be your protector, you can always feel safe with him. I know he would give his life to keep you safe! He's pretty tall, but you don't have to feel scared when he holds you, he won't drop you! You might actually love to be flown around in the sky when your a little older. Your Daddy is a pretty special guy, I helped raise him, so I should know... you are in the best of hands when you are in his hands!
Now your Mommy has been doing her best to give you the absolute best start from the beginning. I even watched her eat a hockey puck (hamburger) for the sole purpose of keeping you safe! She even gave up sushi (which between you and me, I never had to give that up because I never ate it... it grosses me out!) but your Mommy LOVES sushi and she gave it up just for you! She is the one thats going to run to you in the middle of the night when your hungry, scared, wet, or just need company. Your Daddy probably won't even wake up. Your Mommy can run on a few hours of sleep and work circles around your Daddy who had a full nights sleep. Your Mommy is going to care for your every need, and she is going to learn so much about herself because of you! You are going to stretch her in ways she never dreamed, so go easy on her at first.
I can't wait to meet you, and hold you and give you kisses instead of me asking your Daddy to give you kiss for me. I can't wait to sing you a very special song that I sang to your cousins before I laid them down to sleep at night. They still ask me to sing that song to them at night! I can't wait to see you smile and hear your laugh. But don't grow up too fast... I have to wait a few weeks before I can come see you!
I love you Lina!!
Aunt Lynny





1 comment:
So sweet! xxoo
Post a Comment