One of the activities on my "Vacation To Do List" was swim in Lake Superior. Now when I say "swim" I don't mean frolicking in the waves. I mean run in, dive under the water, and run back out.
It was the first day, the weather was the warmest it was forecasted to be. The sun peaked out of the clouds for a few short minutes, so it was decided that we prepare for the plunge. The leaders of the families did some grunting and big talking and heading into their respective trailers to don their swim suits, the rest of the families quickly followed.
We all headed to the beach. Along the beach there was a stream that ran along the Lake's edge, you had to walk through it to get to the Lake. When our toes hit the stream water it was frigid! But that was NOTHING compared to Lake Superior!
The Leaders stood on the waters edge watching their children head into the water along with PopPop. They continued to egg each other on, but made no movement towards the water.
Jilli amazes me... water temp doesn't seem to affect her at all. I think she is like her Uncle Dick that way. I remember him playing in the ocean waves when the water was cold, laughing at the rest of us watching him from the beach.
The other kids slowly attempted to get into the water.
Even PopPop made it into the water before the Fearless Leaders!
Here is a picture of my Leader before his big splash.
I only have a video of the plunge and for some reason I can't get it to load :( All I can say is male voices were octaves higher than they should have been with one of the Leaders running into the water like his butt was on fire and the other one s.l.o.w.l.y walked into the water until the first fearless leader came running back splashing the other fearless leader when he dove under water to just get it over with. I will let you decide who was who.Then it was the ladies turn to "go swimming". I do have to mention here that the rocks at the shore of the Lake were brutal on the feet! But we did it!!
At the end of the video Kevin makes guttural sounds and he abruptly ends the video. Romeo ran into his knee and caused all kind of lamenting.
Jason... Well, Uncle Kevin grabbed him and went running into the water but Jason didn't like that so much. He was dead set against going under water (that day).
Drew conquered his nerves and went under water, but I don't have any pictures of him going under.
Tyler with Nana and PopPop looking over discovered rocks.
After the "Great Swim" as we crossed back over the stream to head back to the trailers... the stream actually felt warm! The Leaders then sat in their chairs by the fire reliving their very manly adventure on the banks of Gitche Gumee.
That Ends our Lake Superior Swim.












No comments:
Post a Comment