I had two very special cousins, one of them was my best friend growing up, we did everything together. We had special nicknames for each other, we lived only a few blocks away from each other, so we were always together. Our birthdays are only 4 days apart, so we even had birthdays together. Back when I was younger I would always tease him that I was older than he was.... now I kind of wish it was the other way around... I guess I can still say I am 4 days wiser! I miss him. It's been a few years since I saw him, he lives a little further away than what is conducive for a weekend visit.
My other special cousin lives in Wisconsin. Thankfully she didn't move a half a nation away from me, she is just a jump, skip, and hop over a little pond called Lake Michigan. Wisconsin is my Mom's home state. Even though my grandparents (by this time) were living in Grand Rapids, "going home" for my Mom was making the 5 hour trip to the little town of Racine. Carey and I are only a few short months different in age (again I am the wiser one), so we naturally became good friends. She and I are different in so many ways and yet so much the same. Our friendship has continued to grow over the years.
Micah, Tyler, and Jilli are almost in the same situation that I was, growing up. Their first cousins are much younger than them, as is most of their second cousins. So we move right along to third cousins. A cousin is a cousin... right?! Especially in the Bergsma family, we throw the cousin order right out the window. Thankfully the kids have third cousins on Kev's side of the family too that we love to hang with, so they are never lacking in the "cousin" category.
OK, so this past weekend our "Wisconsin Cousins" came for a quick visit. Oh my goodness what a fun weekend! The kids were making every minute they had together count. I love how well they all get along! As I watched them this weekend, it kind of hit me, the boys may or may not stay connected as they reach adulthood. Boys can be a little funny that way, but Emily and Jilli... they are beginning just like Carey and I did. They are forming a friendship that is going to last them a lifetime. They are cousins, but they are friends. It's a beautiful thing to see.
Traditions.... a picture or series of pictures must be taken of the cousins with every visit. So here you go... our most recent series of pictures (cuz if I haul out my big clunky camera, I ain't taken just one).
This next one is oldest to youngest, with Romeo added in because he is the coolest dog ever.
![]() |
| Drew, Jacob, Jason, Micah, Tyler, Emily, Jilli |
And no visit is complete without tears after the departure. She is bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh...
Thankfully she calmed down for a little while until we put her to bed. We prayed protection over our cousins as they traveled home and the water works started back up again. Oh sweet baby girl... how I love your tender heart!






No comments:
Post a Comment