Arlington National Cemetery.
Out of all the places that we went to in DC, this was the place that I most desired Kevin's presence. Not because I so much needed him, but because I knew that this would be the place that would leave the biggest impression on him.
Being an American is a privilege. It is a blessing from God to be born in this amazing country. Throughout the world's history only 3% of civilization have known the freedoms we have known. Something that most people take for granted. But when you are standing on the soft green grass, gazing down the rows of white, you begin to see the price for that freedom. This would not be lost on my husband, he would get it, he would understand.
![]() |
| Photograph taken by Laurie |
We were told that there are usually around 20-30 funerals a day (5 days a week) at the cemetery, or 6400 annually. That number shocked me and although there was probably a funeral going on while we were there, we didn't see any signs of it, except the flag at half mast. I am glad for the families that curious eyes couldn't see them saying good-bye to their loved ones. I can't imagine trying to grieve with hundreds of eyes watching my personal pain.
We went to the grave of the Kennedy's. It was interesting. I don't remember seeing it when I was a child. I did take some pictures, but it really didn't strike any cords with me, so why waste blog space on those...
Then we went to The Tomb of the Unknowns. I had told my kids what to expect, that this was a very respectful time, they were not to talk and to stand still. Funny how history has a way of repeating itself. I bet my parents would have never imagined that 25 years after they took their family to this place they would be taking their grandkids here.
Tyler taking pictures before the Changing of the Guards started.
So very cool. I know that this experience touched my kids the way it touched me over 25 years ago. This will be something that they will always remember and maybe, just maybe, Kevin and I will be standing here 25 years from now with our grandchildren, hearing our kids telling them to stand still and not to talk...








1 comment:
That tomb is a special place. I've visited it once. I'd like to take the boys someday.
Post a Comment