Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Trip Begins

It's been almost a year since I have last visited.  And soon, I will again be reunited with my old friend.  I have been waiting for my chance to share this with you.  To show you one of my most favorite places.  Not that I have been to many, I am not traveled like the rest of my family, but I think if I traveled the world, this would still be a favorite, because it brings peace to my soul.

The first time was magical.  It was midnight visits of the Aurora Borealis with Kevin and I wrapped in our winter jackets standing together in awe of the beauty that was dancing across the sky.  It was waking up to 6 inches of snow laying all around our trailer.  It was walking down leaf colored paths on our way to discover waterfalls.  It was driving around looking for this little two-track that brought you back to a place called Rock Cut.  It was laying in bed peaking out the windows when hearing a low hum and seeing a cruise ship lighting up the night.

All of our trips have been special, but out of all of them, I think last years trip will always rest in a special place in my heart.  It was where a phone call changed our lives.  It was where we discovered a special long forgotten historic town that dripped history from all it's hidden places.  It was where the story of Big Fitz came alive for Tyler.  As I open the pictures from this trip it all comes rushing back to me, all the smiles... and the tears.  The quiet moments and the screaming happy moments.  Looking at them make me so excited for this years trip, one that will be different than any other trip, with new adventures, new friends and new memories.

Here we go, are you ready to see the places that I love?  First I want to share with you the pictures of the first day of our last trip north.  Nothing spectacular but for me it's the beginning of the story, it's where I like to start.

As were were still sitting in our driveway, I snapped a picture of each of my blessings.  Jilli was still a little sleepy.

 Micah was already playing with his toy that he brought for the trip north.
 And Tyler... well, he was being Tyler...
 And the Leader of this little family, doing his best to avoid his own picture.
 As a child I remember our trips, usually out East, and they always included a packed lunch at a rest area.   Funny how back then, I kind of hated that tradition (sorry Mom and Dad), but now I see it as it was.  An inexpensive quick way to feed a family and keep on rollin.  I also see it as a memory maker.  I can still smell the ham sandwiches that appeared out of our old blue cooler.  I can still hear my mom telling us to run to the end of the sidewalk and back in hopes of us losing some of our pent up energy.  



 After lunch it's back in the truck to finish out our journey.  Then off in the distance we see her standing majestically against the blue sky.  Our passageway, our bridge, our only way to get to the place that we fall in love with a little more with each visit.

The Mackinaw Bridge.  There is always work being done to her.  It takes 8 years just to paint every inch of her, which they are doing constantly.  But the sight of her starts our countdown.  From the bridge it is only another 45min to our destination.  We are almost there...

No comments: