Friday, November 27, 2009

Too Busy?

Holidays are always a busy time of year. This year seemed especially busy for some reason. Maybe because I started my Thanksgiving at 5:15am at Meijers and didn't end it until 1am Friday morning. Or maybe it's because my family celebrated my birthday yesterday (since Tim and Melissa were in town to celebrate with us). Or maybe because I celebrated my birthday with Kevin's parents tonight. Or maybe because life is just that....busy.

So often we fill our lives with so many things, places to go, people to see, that we don't slow down and concentrate on the importance of being home and just being a family. There are many times that I wish I lived back in the 1800's. I know that life was hard back then, but it was also simple. Neighbors looked out for each other (can't tell you the last time I have even SEEN one of my neighbors). Life was all about family and making sure you had food on the table. There is something magical about living back then. Even when I sit and listen to my Grandma talk about life as a child it makes my heart yearn for a simpler life.

I went to visit Grandma and Grandpa on Tuesday. I am sad to say it had been a REALLY long time since I had seen them. It was just Jilli and I. I sat on the floor at my Grandma's feet with Jilli on my lap and together we listened to the story of her sister's birth. Why was my Grandma telling me about Auntie Lu? Because she passed away the day before. My Grandma is the oldest of 7 children, 4 girls and 3 boys. She is now one of 3 remaining siblings and the only living girl. I think her heart was full of grief that day and she needed to talk about her very special sister.

Auntie Lu was born at home. Grandma remembers there being a lot of commotion that night. The neighbor must have noticed that too, because she came over in the morning to find out what was going on. I need to stop here a moment... When my Grandma told me this fact, it struck me. How many of us would go over to our neighbors to find out what was going on. Most of us would either say "mind your own business" or "it's none of my business". Not back then. Neighbors looked out for each other. My Grandma even remembers the name of the neighbor that came over. Back to the story... My Great Grandparents invited this neighbor in to show her the new little girl they just had. It was an exciting time. The neighbor commented on how she had just received word from her sister in Iowa (my Great Grandparents lived in Wisconsin) that she had just had a baby boy that morning as well, and how wonderful it was that these two babies were born on the same day. Little did anyone know, but God had special plans for those two babies. For just over 20 years later those two babies were married. My Grandma called it a "marriage made in Heaven". I sat there listening to this story in awe and all too soon it was time for me to go. I apologized for not coming more often. My Grandma said that it was OK, for she knew how busy I was and they didn't expect me to come see them much. It made me sad. I was too busy to visit my very precious Grandparents. All too soon they will be gone and I will have missed out on the many visits I could have had, because I was too busy.

My parents traveled to Wisconsin to go to Auntie Lu's funeral this past Wednesday. Mom said it was a beautiful service. Some of her children and grandchildren spoke of the wonderful women she was. How she loved to share her faith and how she prayed for those who had none. Her children were rising up and calling her blessed.

What I remember about my Auntie Lu was that she always had a smile on her face. She looked so much like my Grandma, I remember thinking it was kind of creepy. I remember the smell of her house when we stayed there. I remember taking a bath in their huge bathtub with lots of bubbles (something we never got to do at home) and I remember her little dog Casey. Funny what a child's mind remembers about a person.

Just over a month ago, Kevin and I were in Wisconsin visiting family and I was able to hug my Auntie Lu and talk to her for a little while. She had had a stroke awhile back and was losing her memory. In April when I saw her, she knew who I was, but in October, she couldn't quite place me. I mentioned that I was Tennie's granddaughter and her face lit up. They had a great love for each other. She then asked me all kinds of questions about my Grandma. It was a very sweet moment in time. The next week she fell and broke her leg and slowly declined into a coma and then died.

How quickly life changes. How quickly you lose people you love. How easy it is to get so busy you forget the little things in life only to look back and wish you had paid more attention to them.

James 4:14 ~ Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.

So what am I doing while I am a mist, that makes a difference? Am I getting myself so busy that I will vanish before I do anything worth while? Will MY husband and children rise and call me blessed? Am I leaving a legacy that has an impact on someones life? I hope so... My Auntie Lu did...


Blessings!!


No comments: