Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tyler Mark...aka "Tyty"

Tyler's story doesn't have all the drama that Jilli's had, but he is a miracle all his own. I had suffered two miscarriages (in a row) before getting pregnant with Tyler. My Doctor had told me that I had to give my body a rest and had to wait for three months before we tried to again (except we weren't trying!) God had different plans however. The next month, God formed Tyler, He saw his unformed body, and knew all his days before I even knew he was there!

The next miracle, is that we didn't have insurance to cover this pregnancy until Dec 1st. Knowing that I would probably have gestational diabetes (because of Micah's birth weight), I knew that this pregnancy would be a lot more $$. God held my blood sugars in check until I was 28 weeks along. I turned 28 weeks on Dec 1, 2003. Only God could plan like that!


Jan 29, 2004 I had an ultrasound scheduled for around 8pm. Kevin was not able to come, so my best friend, Jodi, joined me, for what turned out to be, my last peek at our baby before it was born.


I remember laying on the table watching the pictures on the screen, how different the baby looked from the first ultrasounds. This pregnancy I had to start taking insulin at 28 weeks. I had non-stress tests twice a week and ultrasounds about every two weeks. When the tech started to take the measurements, the computer spit out that he was 9 lbs 6oz. When I saw that number, I knew that my pregnancy days were over. I had an appt with Dr. Bolan the next morning and he wouldn't let me go any longer.
Dr. Bolan had told me from the beginning that I would be induced about 2 weeks before my due date (Feb 14th, same due date as Micah's). In diabetic moms the increase of sugar in the blood breaks down the placenta. It is usually not safe to go full term with a diabetic mom.
I remember dropping Jodi off at 9:13pm then driving home in the dark by myself. I had turned the radio off and was just taking my time getting home. I knew this was the last time I would be alone for a long time. The Lord and I conversed, there were many things on my heart that I just need to talk about and it was a perfect time to do it.

I honestly don't remember anything more about that night. I am sure I told Kevin, that he should not go to work the next day and come with me to my Drs appt. I am sure that I held Micah and told him how much I loved him and that he would be a big brother soon. I do remember not sleeping very well, anxious feelings of what an induced delivery would feel like, can I do this again? Will this be my last baby? What will I have...we still couldn't decide on a boys name....

Our little family found itself waiting in Dr. Bolan's office. Micah just thought that it was a fun field trip. My stomach was just rolling. I hadn't been able to eat any breakfast that morning (big NO NO for a diabetic). He came into the room with my ultrasound report. Took one look at it and said "I'll be right back." A few minutes later he came back into the room and said that we needed to go straight to the hospital, it was time to be induced. He told me that ultrasounds at this late in the pregnancy were often times wrong with the size of the baby, just because there isn't much room left and it's hard to get accurate measurements. They figure that the baby could be off by a pound...either way.

I of course listed 101 reasons why I couldn't go STRAIGHT to the hospital. Number one reason is that I needed someone to watch Micah. He agreed to allowing me to run home, get my bag, drop Micah off....then go STRAIGHT to the hospital.
We followed his instructions, with a few added steps....like picking up Jodi(We had asked, when we found out we were pregnant, if she would like to be at the delivery). We had dropped Micah off at his Mom's house since Laurie (my sister) was working. She would pick him up later in the day and take him home and stay with him through the night if need be.

We arrived at the hospital.....still without a boys name. As I was climbing out of the suburban, I said "Kevin if you don't pick a boy's name before I make it into the doors of the hospital (which were 10 feet away), it's going to be Luke Franklin." Then I shut the door. He opened the window and yelled out "Tyler Mark, if it's a boy then Tyler Mark!" I was literally walking in the doors....

Inductions are WAY different then natural births. I was hooked up to IV's and all kinds of machines right away. I wasn't able to get out of bed and walk around and the labor is LOTS harder, but it takes a lot longer than I thought to get to the hard labor.

I was in a hospital bed at about 1pm and I sent Kevin and Jodi out to have supper around 5pm b/c nothing was happening. I remember while they were gone I asked my nurse (the same one as I had with Micah), Maggie, if she couldn't speed things up. I was tired of just sitting there with nothing happening. She turned up the pitocin and sat down and we talked for a little while. Then things started to pick up.

I think it was around 11pm that I finally asked for the epidural. I was praying that with this delivery, the epidural would work....it didn't work for Micah's. Jodi had to leave the room and Kevin held me while they stuck a HUGE needle into my back. I am not one for needles especially big ones, but I LOVED that needle. It brought comfort. It didn't take at first but Dr. Weaver stayed with me and worked with me until it finally took.


I had my beautiful BOY at 1:19am. He was 7lbs, 13oz, 20in long. Not the 9lbs that the ultrasound said. He was beautiful! The first thing I noticed was that he had a birth mark, just like mine, right between his eyes. The only time you can see mine is when I cry or get very mad, it turns red. His was very noticeable at first, but now, you can only see it when he is....mad or cries.

I think Kevin and Jodi left around 2:30am. Then it was just me and my new baby boy, Tyler Mark. I stayed awake, just looking at him, loving him. In those quiet moments it's almost like you can hear God speaking to you, telling you that he loved you so much that He gave his son, so that you could have yours. I remember just laying there with tears falling down my face loving this baby so much, praying that I would be able to teach, guide, show him God's love in a way that he would NEVER part from it.


Since that day, Tyler has brought our family so much joy. He is our jokester. He is the child that can make you laugh until you want to cry, then make you so mad that you want to make him cry... He loves with his whole heart, he cares with his whole heart, but he doesn't want anyone to know. He has great concern for others. He is content to play by himself, in his own imaginary world for hours. He rarely, never tells me he is bored and that he has nothing to do. He is also our only child that will make his bed EVERY morning before he even gets out of bed, without being told to.

He is our sunshine and I thank My Gracious Heavenly Father, for bringing him into our lives on January 31, 2004.

Blessings!






No comments: