Monday, October 13, 2008

Troubled

I have never really liked election years, and this year stands to be the worst so far. Right now I have all kinds of thoughts and feelings swirling around inside of me. I am not the best at organizing all my thoughts and putting them down on paper, like most people I know. I am not necessarily the best writer either (although I try hard). But tonight as I contemplate the incredible decision that must be made I am continually urged to get back on my knees and pray.

I am not a good debater, I have never been really good at (again) organizing all of my thoughts into a concise answer. My oldest brother was born to debate, he practiced on us all during our growing up years, then he was in debate in High School and even made it all the way to Washington DC. But that is not my gift, God gave me the gift of listening, but in these last few weeks before the election, it is troubling to me that I was not given a gift in debate. All my thoughts are stuck inside of me just waiting to be organized and explained, but there they sit. Since I do not speak in depth about the candidates, I have been told that I don't know enough about either candidate. It is true that I am not wrapping my days around the election, pouring my heart into every little shred of information about both men. I have more important things to deal with. Like pouring my heart into raising the next generation of leaders. (Please don't misunderstand me...I believe in educating myself to make a good decision, I just don't let it consume my time.)

Regardless of my lack of ability to debate, I have encountered several conversations that have left me completely baffled as to the thoughts of some people. I wonder how they have gotten to the conclusions they have, what is it that made certain people make the choice they are so adamant about. Where is God in all of the decision making, or is He completely left out? I am again called to get back on my knees. Calling out to God to make sense out of the senseless.

That is when I hear God whispering to me...."I know the plans I have for you...do not worry about tomorrow...do not let your heart be troubled...remain in me and I will remain in you" bits and pieces of scripture scattered in my heart, that I am clinging too. The uneasiness is not completely gone, but it is subsiding. My frustrations are still there, but not as strong.

As I opened my Bible tonight this is what greeted me...
"But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. They said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires." These are the men who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.

But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life." Jude 1:17-31

What do you make of that?

In the end, God is still God and I am his child, no matter who the next President is...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it was Uncle Tom. I often imagine him meeting his grandkids and great nieces & nephews. Horse back riding was our "thing" on Uncle John's farm on 52nd street. Their noses were so soft, just like velvet.

Mom