Today is the "Big Day" when you dress-up and go around asking for candy. Growing up Kevin and I always enjoyed Halloween. For me, it was always fun trying to figure out what to be (we always made our own costumes). If I couldn't think of anything, I could always put on a old pair of my Dad's clothes and be a Bum (no offense Dad).
Halloween has changed in many ways since we were children. Maybe it has always been a "dark" holiday, but I never remembered that as a child. I don't recall seeing scary things in windows, seeing costumes with blood all over them, or masks that you want to shield your child's eyes from.
For the last few years, Kevin and I have made a decision, that we will allow our children to participate in this fun childhood activity, but under more secured guidelines. We do not let them go around to houses in the neighborhood.
This year we were invited to go to Aunt Jodi's school to do a "Harvest Festival". It was put on by one of the "mega churches" in our city. So instead of going door to door to ask for candy. Our kids went from "booth to booth" playing games and winning prizes (mostly candy). They had so much more fun, it was all indoors, so it was warm and there were NO scary costumes, pictures or music (only praise a worship music could be heard). It was all free, at the end of the night, they all got to take home a helium balloon (they were so excited about that....now I will have those floating around for the next 3 weeks...mom isn't so excited).
The highlight of the night was probably the first thing we did......take a look for yourself...

Her Name was Laura and she was 26yrs old (elephants live to be 60-80 yrs old) This was the first elephant ride for me and my kids. How Cool is that! Sure beats walking from house to house...

The kids had a great time! Now they have another set of wonderful memories to pile away.
I will share more pictures with you in the coming days. There are some cute ones!
Blessings!
2 comments:
YOUR first ride? WOW! That's really cool!!!
-Kelli
That is so fun! She was gone by the time we got outside :(
Where did she come from? Oh, and we thought it was a great time as well - Mattie already asked if he could do that again next year!
Post a Comment