Friday, October 17, 2008

Take a Walk with me?

It was a cold day, a day to stay inside. Clouds threatened to open up and pour it's life juice on us. "No better day than to take a discovery walk", I say. Off we go, to discover what God has in store for us today. What amazing creations can we find? What can we learn about God's character through his handiwork?


Have you ever walked around looking at a child's level? I think as adults we pass by so many unusual treasures because we are too busy looking elsewhere or don't have time to truly look. My children are constantly stopping me and asking questions about what they find. What a great gift they are too me. I get to enjoy their curiosity and their love of all things created.


As we ventured out on our walk we passed by beautiful wild flowers, old tree stumps that had the most unusual fuzzy green stuff growing on the side of it. Bugs that are so unique you wonder how God ever thought them up and of course the ever threatening cloud formations. We would stand in awe of what we were finding. As we continue to meander, we draw near to a breath taking sight. My whole life I have been in awe... the strength, beauty, gracefulness...mesmerizing.



As we approached the fence we were noticed, they looked upon us with interest, their ears pricked up, they started walking our way. I held my breath, would they come? Would they allow us to gaze upon them and dream of what it would be like flying through the wind on their backs?


They started our way...picking up speed....do you hear their hooves pounding on the soil? You can almost feel it, they are getting closer, running faster. The kids are starting to back up...I am taking a step forward.All my childhood dreams come rushing back as I watch these magnificent creatures. They slow, coming up to the fence at which I stand, anxiously awaiting our first meeting. I extend my hand, the beautiful white gelding greets me, allows me to touch his velvety nose. Then a mare walks up and nudges me. I almost forgot about my little ones standing behind me, silenced by fear. Then Micah speaks, "Mommy can they jump that fence?"



How I wish they would, I would jump on their backs and gallop off into the distance.....dreaming again. "No Micah, they won't come over the fence. It is safe here, why don't you come and greet our new friends." All three standing and staring, not moving. I quickly move behind them, capturing the six of them all looking at each other. What a moment...


Encouraging them to come, "don't move too quickly, horses can get spooked by fast movements" I gently remind them. "Only if you hold me Momma, will I touch one", my beautiful Tyler says. I pick him up and walk slowly, extending my hand touching the softness again. Tyler very slowly and gently touches. The look on his face, how I wish I was able to capture that look. Surprising that something so big and strong, has such a soft spot.


Kind of like the Characters of God. He seems to be this big, huge, untouchable being, yet he is as gentle as a little boys tentative hand, He is reachable, His heart is as soft for us, as the geldings nose. Calling us to come to Him...some of us walk right up, some ask to be held as we approach, some stand just out of reach and others walk away. I walked right up, Tyler asked to be held, Jilli stood just out of reach, and Micah...walked away. As we embarked on our walk, I was thinking it was going to be great teachable moments for the kids (which it was), but little did I know what kind of teachable moment my teacher had in store for me. What causes some of us to crawl on His lap with no fear and what causes some to just walk away?


As we felt the first wet drops on our skin, I felt sad...sad that I had to leave this moment, just as my two, still remaining children, were discovering comfort with the beautiful animals. Sad that I couldn't stay and dream of racing through fields of green on bareback, wind whipping the mane in my face, tears streaming from my eyes falling down my cheeks, barely being able to catch my breath.

We turned and headed back, the kids racing like horses down the dirt road, passed the old logs and wildflowers down the hill back to the trailer. We talked excitedly about our day, what we discovered. Later that night I lay in bed listening to the rain gently falling, I closed my eyes and dreamed again...

I am riding bareback on a pure white stallion, racing through fields of green, wildflowers of every color slipping past us. We come to a crystal clear river, pausing to take a drink. We are on our way again, this time we are flying by a huge wall, in the distance I see a gate. As we approach I notice many people standing there, we start to slow, my stallion is breathing heavy. We walk up and start moving among the many gathered. Many I have never met, but somehow know. I see my Uncle waving at me with a huge smile on his face holding a pipe in his hand. Then my grandparents are there, grandma sitting in a rocking chair, holding two little babies, my Grandpa looks up and waves, Grandma smiles at me. We are slowly moving to the gate, I look down to see us walking down a street of gold, looking up, I now can see the gate fully. It is a huge round pearl, it's beautiful. I peek through the gate, someone is coming. Everyone is excited, I can't quite see the face, I can feel it is someone I love though, I know that this person is very special to me. People start to Cheer and rejoice, the person is almost here, cheers are getting louder...then I wake-up. I never saw the face of the person coming, I am left to wonder who it was. Is it you? Are you going to be the one I meet at the pearly gate? I pray so..... Be the one who walks toward our savior, or be the one who needs someone to walk with them (I will walk with you), but don't be the one who just stands out of reach... or walks away.....






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this brought tears to our eyes. I think you should publish some of these in a devotional book.

You CAN write!

Nana

Anonymous said...

Okay Lyn, I second that thought that you are a gifted writer and that you brought tears to my eyes. You are also a great photographer and that picture with the kids and the horses should be published somewhere. What an awesome pic!

Anonymous said...

such creative writing! and i love your free spirit...

Anonymous said...

Lyn-
I think that you should seriously think about writing a short story, or even childrens books! This post was amazing!!!

Kerri

Anonymous said...

I very truly don't believe that I have nearly the gift of writing as you have, Lyn. You write from your heart. You just write as the thoughts come to you. I sit and think and think and think and think about it before I write. And I write and re-write and re-write. It takes me hours. I don't write as freely as you. That's what draws people in. They know they're getting the real you. You ARE gifted. I've said a thousand times, "She should publish this." (Well, okay maybe not a thousand. But definitely at least a dozen! :)) God speaks to us in many ways, sis. Could He be talking through the feedback you're receiving?