Thursday, December 13, 2012

Dream Come True

It was a big day.... not only was it election day, but it was the day that Jilli had been waiting for since the moment she opened her birthday present from Aunt Laurie.

We spent time picking out the outfit that she would wear, we talked at length as to how to wear her hair.  Every thirty minutes it was another question about the time we would leave, how long it would take to get there, where would the boys go while we were gone, was I sure this was the same place Daddy had worked at... on and on the questions kept coming.
At last it was time for Aunt Laurie to come pick us up.  The excitement was hard to contain, she was a little girl bubbling up from the tips of her toes ready to burst.

We finally arrived at our destination.  We walk inside and are met by Miss Kim, who is sitting on a beautiful dapple grey arabian horse.  It is not often that I look at someone else and think.... I wish I had her job.  I think I have a pretty amazing job, but in that moment... I allowed myself to dream it was me sitting on top of that beautiful horse training it instead of Miss Kim.
Miss Kim told us where we could find the horse Jilli was going to ride.  We walked to the stables and found where Layla was quietly standing munching on a little hay.  I think it was love at first site for Jilli.  Her smile was infectious.

Miss Kim took Jilli into Layla's stall and showed her how to put a lead on her then instructed Jilli on how to walk with her and off they went.
Miss Kim talked the entire time she was working with Jilli.  I loved it.  As she instructed Jillian on all the brushes used before saddling a horse, what the parts of the horses body were called, when Layla moved into Jilli how she was communicating with her, why you brushed before you saddled a horse, and on and on...
Laurie and I were enjoying all the lessons probably more than Jilli was.  I had been through horses 101 back in 8th grade when I went to horsemanship camp, but it was so great to hear all the ins and outs again.  
It was such a joy to watch my little girl's dream coming true, she drank it all it, she enjoyed every second.  To her it wasn't just about riding a horse, it was about being with a horse.

Then it was time to saddle Layla.  Jilli had a choice of either western or english saddle.  Jilli said she didn't care, so Miss Kim said she prefers the english saddle because there is less leather and it is easier to learn proper technique when you can actually feel the horse beneath you.

I was super excited she was riding english.  A long time ago I worked for a lady that owned a horse ranch, she allowed me to ride her horses.... I didn't get to do it but a few times.  She had told me that if I wanted to she would teach me dressage, which required and english saddle.  Sadly, I had to change jobs into a position that reflected my schooling.  I lost touch with her and never took her up on her offer.  She ended up selling her ranch several years ago and now every time I drive by it (on our way to church) I think about what could have been.
As Miss Kim helped Jilli saddle Layla, she continued explaining all the parts of the saddle, what they were for, why there where extra parts that weren't used.  Once Layla was completely saddled and Jilli had her helmet on, it was time to take her into the arena.

Again, Miss Kim had Jilli doing everything, teaching her how to walk with her, how to not let Layla get away with little disobedience issues.  How to watch Layla for the littlest things that indicate what she is thinking or feeling.

Once in the arena, Miss Kim double checked the tightness of the saddle, shortened the stirrups, and instructed Jilli how she was to get on Layla.

Then the moment arrived.....

First Miss Kim stayed right next to Jilli, teaching her how to make Layla walk, stop, turn.  They went around the arena a few times like this and then slowly Miss Kim moved further and further away as Jilli kept following the instructions.


And before I knew it, Miss Kim stood in the middle of the arena, giving instructions and Jilli was handling Layla all on her own.  It still makes me a little teary-eyed just thinking about it.  Jilli looked so comfortable in the saddle, not an ounce of fear, not a moments hesitation.

Miss Kim told us that Jilli was amazing, a complete natural, a quick learner.  At the very end of her lesson Miss Kim asked Jilli if she wanted to learn how to make a horse back up.  Jilli (of course) said "sure".  Within seconds of Miss Kim telling Jilli how to do it, she had Layla walking backwards.

And then....her lesson was done.  She walked Layla back to her stall.
How I wish there was a way for us to be able to continue with lessons for Jilli.  To see her dream, a dream that has passed from her Nana, to her Mom, and now to her, be fulfilled.  I would muck the stalls, scoop up manure, scrub the floor of the barn with a toothbrush, even offer my husbands amazing carpentry skills, in order to off set the cost of lessons.  The joy on my baby's face... the excitement of spending a hour with a horse...

Thank You Aunt Laurie for this awesome gift, it was an experience she will never forget!!

Blessings!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a great afternoon! I'll never forget it either. I wish I could make all the dreams of my nephews & niece come true