Monday, November 5, 2012

This Weekend

I keep wanting to start writing about our trip upnorth, but things just keep happening over here that push that trip to the end of the blogging line.

My last post I mentioned that we hadn't heard from Tim and Melissa for a few days.  Tim called me Sunday morning to update me.  They are doing well, the power is back on at Sissy and Sanjay's so they are able to move back there (they had left b/c they ran out of water and it was cold with no heat).  Good thing, is that none of their stuff was destroyed, bad news is it will be at least another 2 wks before they are able to move back home.  They are also thankful because there are still many buildings that still have standing water in their lobbies, those buildings are not permitted to pump them out because the water has too much oil and gas in it.  Many of these buildings are located all around Tim and Melissa's building, the buildings are currently temporarily condemned.  People who live in the buildings can't get to any of their stuff, and are being told that it could be months before they will be allowed back into their buildings.  I can't even imagine!

After I got done talking with Tim, Jilli hopped on the phone with him for a few minutes then Tim past the phone to Aunt Melissa and Jilli talked her ear off for like the next 20min!  She is all girl... I can't even imagine what it's going to be like when she is a teenager!!

OK, so what I am about to tell you next might shock some of you...

Early Saturday morning our home was broken into, however, we didn't put all the pieces together until yesterday.  Here is the story...

Friday night Kev and I were watching TV when we heard Tyler throwing up (he is not sick, we think it was an allergic reaction to what he ate).  We both ran upstairs and took care of him, got him back in bed and decided we might as well go to bed too.  So... we didn't do our nightly rounds of all our doors to make sure they are all locked, our routine was interrupted and neither of us even thought about the fact that we didn't check our doors.

Fast forward to Saturday morning... Kev and I get up and as I come down the stairs I notice that the curtain that hangs in front of our slider is blowing out the door.  The slider door and screen door were open about 2 ft.  Micah who got up an hour earlier said that he didn't open it.  I thought it odd, that I wouldn't notice the slider open, especially because it had been cold outside.  I checked to make sure my purse was still here (thankfully it was 'put away').  Kev's wallet was sitting on the counter and all of my computer equipment was still sitting where it always sits.  Kevin didn't think there was much to worry about. So we went about our day.

I had noticed that there was one thing missing, but maybe I had misplaced the item (which I knew I didn't), but it didn't really register with me to be overly concerned.

Sunday I told Kevin that this particular item was missing and that I knew exactly where I had put it and it wasn't there.  Kevin then asked me if I had read an email that had come in from our neighbor.  I didn't, so he read it to me.  She was warning us that there had been 2 houses that had been broken into early Saturday morning.  We decided to call the police.

The officer came and told us that there had been 3 break-ins (ours makes 4). All on our street.  One of the houses being 2 houses down from us.  They actually saw the man, he was coming in their front door while there were people sleeping in the living room!  That was at 7:56am.  The officer dusted for prints... there was some, but there was no 'ridges' on the prints so he couldn't use them.  He did tell us there was some really good clues at some of the other houses...

After piecing together the timeline the officer gave us we have kind of figured out that this man entered our house through our unlocked slider, was able to grab the item he stole just as Micah got out of bed and headed to our room to get Romeo.  The two of them came running down the stairs, the robber heard them, and took off out the slider.  Micah did tell us that Romeo acted weird, heading straight to the slider instead of to his food bowl.  We are so thankful that 1. Micah did not encounter this person still in our home.  2. Romeo was with him and makes more noise than a herd of elephants to scare this guy off.  3. No one was hurt.  I just have to say that guy is lucky he didn't meet Romeo.  It wouldn't have gone well for him.

So, that's the story.  We give God the praise for protecting us from a situation that could have been so much worse.  I told Kevin that I think I am starting up my childhood bedtime rote prayer "....Please help there be no bats, no fires, no robbers. Amen"






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's scary, but I'm glad to hear everyone is OK. But I am curious, what was the 1 item?
-Kelli