Friday, December 2, 2011

Transported Back in Time

My favorite books to read are inspirational romance (you can roll your eyes) that are set in the 1800's.  I enjoy books from other time periods, but the stories set during this time are my favorite.  I have often thought that if God made mistakes his first was probably setting me in this century.  I would have loved to live when horses were apart of every day life.  When  community was essential for living and when you rose and went to bed with the sun.

Now I know that I enjoy all the luxuries that this century brings.  To start with, indoor plumbing.  Then there is the washing machine.  We kind of have a love hate relationship.  I love that I don't have to wash by hand, but I hate washing/drying/folding clothes.  Another thing that would be really hard is planning meals.  Back in the day you had to really plan, you couldn't look at the clock, see that it's 4pm and start wondering what you are going to make for dinner (yes, that is usually how I operate).  You would usually start preparing the night before for the next nights meal.

I know life was hard.  I know that women didn't wear make-up (a love of mine) they pinched their cheeks.  I know that women didn't color their hair in multiple colors or enjoy the pleasure of spiking their hair in the morning (gasp), they wore their hair long and usually up in buns.  I love me some comfy pants, and that would not have been ok, unless I was out on the range branding calves.

Why am I drawn so much to this time period?  Maybe it's because the great USA will be plunged back 100 yrs after our great leaders destroy her beyond repair, so I need to be familiar with the way it was.  Maybe because I love the simplicity of it.  A friend was a friend and an enemy was an enemy, you helped the one and you shot the other.  There was more good in the country than bad.  Entertainment was clean and without all the nasty stuff that is out there today.  The worst mischief kids got into was tipping over outhouses (my grandpa was a pro).  And of course, the horse was the main mode of transportation.  I love horses...

So I don't think that it's going to shock anyone's socks off that one of my favorite places is an old Historic town from the 1800's.

Fayette Historic Townsite has remained relatively untouched for the last 120 years since the Jackson Iron Company closed it's smelting operations in 1891.  As you exit the welcome center this is the first sight your eyes behold...

The town's Hotel
and as you begin your descent into the town you slowly are transported back into the 1800's.


1 comment:

Kaira said...

I find the old times fascinating too. I think they were incredibly difficult but so simple. Have you read Jane Austen? I haven't read anything of hers before but we are reading her Persuasion this next month. I'm assuming it is a period romance. If you haven't read it you should join us. :)