Sunday, December 11, 2011

Crafts

It is official.  I am not going to win the "Mom of the Year" award.

This past week my eyes have been opened to the fact that I deprive my children of good old fashioned crafts.  I usually don't do them because..... it's messy.  I know, I know, that is a horrible excuse for not doing crafts.  But its the one I got.
Well, this week there has been more crafting being done at my house than all the (almost) 10 years that we have had little feet running around here combined.  I have learned that I have been holding my little girl's creative side at bay all in the name of keeping my house cleaned.

On Tuesday we had some friends come over and do crafts with us (obviously this wasn't my idea).  The boys were only remotely interested in the crafts, but Jilli, sweet Jilli, was still going strong after 3 hours.  I finally had to tell her that she had crafted enough and had to call it a day.

A sleeping crafting giant has been awoken and now, there is no stopping her.  Apparently she is even dreaming about crafts now.
Saturday the kids went to our friends house for an afternoon of crafts.  At one point she was using glitter and told my girlfriend that when she dreams she always dreams with sparkles because everything is prettier with sparkles.  Have Mercy!

Then horror of all horrors, it was discovered that I don't save all the pictures, and creations that my kids make.  It is even hard for me to have them displayed all over the house.  I usually tuck them in a drawer and then toss them when they are not looking....Gasp... I told you I wouldn't be winning any awards this year.

But since all of this has come to light, I am making a serious effort to allow crafting to be done in our house more often.  It may not be a no holds barred experience, but at least they will be having the experience.

Oh and I guess now we don't paint with paintbrushes.  We use Q-tips... Why??  I have no idea except that was how Mrs. Butler does it, so now she has to do it that way too.  Who knows, if I allow all this creativity, she might turn our to be the next Martha Stewart, only better!




1 comment:

Kaira said...

Only better is right, because I'm pretty sure Martha Stewart never talked deep about things of Jesus and sacrifice while glittering the floor. I'm pretty sure Martha never gently aked if she could, "you know... worship Jesus..." in Washington, D.C.. I'm pretty sure Martha ain't got nothing on your girl!