Sunday, December 4, 2011

Fayette

I love the history around Fayette.  The one thing I don't really understand was what they actually did there.  I can give you all the information, but I just don't have a mind that wraps itself around what iron smelting is.

I know they mined ore and then they put it in the huge furnaces, and it made pig iron.  But all the ins and outs of this is beyond me.  Even after reading all the little informational boards, I just don't get it.  That is ok, though, I don't need to get how it was all made, I just get to enjoy the beautiful little town that was left behind.
First on the tour is the Furnace Building.  It is an impressive structure. As we walked towards it, you really start to see how huge this building really is.  It must have been a hot mess when in use.

You can see the size in comparison to Kevin.  These huge furnace rooms have brick in the bottoms of them now.  I am not sure if that is because of corrosion or if that is how they did it back in the day.

Micah took my picture next to one of the furnace openings.

The Furnace house was really fun to just explore.  There were "rooms" and walkways.  I really wish we had had more time just to explore this building.

One of the beautiful sights of this little town is the Limestone cliffs that shoot out of the water.



There is a trail that leads you around to the base of the cliffs.  We walked it to get a good angle of the Superintendents house.  That is where I shot the picture that is the blog header.

And this one of Micah, one of my all time favorites :)

And with that, I think I will end my post for the day.

Blessings!!

No comments: