60% of all Marriages in Michigan end in divorce in the first 7 years of wedded bliss. Only 30% of all marriages will make it to 30 years of marriage. That means out of 10 couples that you know, only 3 of the 10 will still be married at their 30th anniversary.
If those are not scary statistics I don't know what are and for what it's worth, going to church doesn't make your statistics much better. You are just as vulnerable in church as you are out of church. Selfishness, anger, bitterness... sin does not discriminate.
Here are some more statistics. The hardest years of marriage are the first 7. Marriage doesn't start to get "easier" until year 9-14. That is when people start to figure out how to be less selfish and more selfless. The interesting thing is that for most of those who divorce, they remarry and start those hard years all over again, that is why divorce is even greater the second time around.
So why these marriage statistics? Well today is our 14th Anniversary! We hit the "magic" number and I can honestly say that I am so thankful to God that we are able to celebrate this special day. We have had our rough times, marriage is work, but we have not given up and we are now enjoying the blessings of 14 years together.
I could go on to mention all the things that make Kevin special. I think I touched on some of those for his birthday post, so I won't go over all that again. But I would like to mention what I think has been the greatest tool for a marriage that is only getting better with time. Prayer.
We have prayed together, I have spent countless hours on my knees for Kevin, our marriage and family. Many, many people have prayed us through our 14 years and will continue praying for us. It is such a blessing to have an army of people surrounding us speaking truth and love into our lives.
I can honestly say that I love Kevin more today than I did that beautiful spring afternoon I became his bride. When I stood in front of a church full of people and promised my life to him, I had no idea where our journey would take us. We have shared so many wonderful times together. My mind is full of happy memories of the past 14 years. I am excited to see where God leads us on our next 14 years of marriage.
And just because I am a little sentimental I thought that I would share some of the precious words that were spoken 14 years ago today.
Kevin: I, Kevin, take you Lyn to be my wife; I promise to love you, care for you and cherish you and be faithful to you.
I will serve you with tenderness and respect.
I promise to pray for you and with you.
I will support you as we walk through life together.
Lyn: I, Lyn, take you Kevin to be my husband; I promise to love you care for you and cherish you and be faithful to you.
I will serve you with tenderness and respect.
I promise to pray for you and with you.
I will support you as we walk through life together.
Kevin: Lyn, I give you this ring as a symbol of our oneness in Christ.
Lyn: Kevin, I give you this ring as a symbol of our oneness in Christ.
We were pronounced husband and wife.
Pastor Van: Father, bless Kevin. Give him strength of character, depth of vision, and a manliness that will enable him to be bold and tender, assertive and kind, enthusiastic and compassionate. May your Spirit in his heart lead him to a growing faith, an increasing hope, and an expanding love. May he lead by serving after the example of Jesus.
Bless Lyn, dear God. Give to her strength of virtue, a heart of wisdom, and that feminine spirit that will enable her to be gentle and confident, considerate and strong, loving and alive in you. May your Spirit in her heart lead her also to a faith on the grow, to a hope that is increasing and to a love that is ever expanding.
Give them together, dear Father, such responsibilities that will bless them and develop their personalities as they walk with you.
In their tears keep them tender;
In their hurts keep them humane;
In their failures clench their hands tightly into yours;
And in all their joys may they ever see you as their good and gracious Father.
Lord, though their lives together may your Name be praised, may your Church be blessed, and your Kingdom come. This we pray in the name of him who taught us how to pray...
Reading those words brings me right back, it puts tears in my eyes and a smile on my face...

Happy Anniversary Kevin!
1 comment:
Happy belated anniversary!! Love you guys!
Bethany
Post a Comment