Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Visiting Covert

Every year Tim & Melissa along with her cousin and his daughter go camping at a little campground on the Big Lake. And every year we try and take an afternoon to go and visit them.

Last year it was freezing! So even though it was the end of summer we were all in pants, sweatshirts and even wrapping up in blankets next to the fire in the middle of the afternoon. That is crazy camping for sure!! Did I mention they camp in tents!!

Jilli LOVES going to visit Uncle Timmy and Aunt Melissa because she knows that she will get to play with Brianna and she loves Brianna!
During this short visit we had two momentous events. Micah roasted his first marshmallow for his smore. It was the most beautifully puffed, light brown marshmallow. Perfect for melting chocolate between two graham crackers.
And then... Roasted Acorn. Don't ask me how acorns taste because I didn't taste it. But from the faces of those who did, it didn't taste very good. But then the idea of roasting it in a little oil sprinkled with seasonings came around. You have to understand that my brother was the kind of kid who would make peanut butter pickle sandwiches and EAT THEM! So roasted acorn wasn't out of the norm for him.
As I understand it, after roasting and seasoning it, it wasn't so bad. So if you ever need a nut to eat and the only thing available is acorns, now you know how to prepare them!

I very thoughtfully left out pictures of my sister-in-law because I know she wouldn't like to be plastered all over my blog (did I mention she was camping in a tent!! You Go Girl!), so instead I am putting on the faces of my doggy nephew and niece, Romeo's cousins. They are about the size of his head, but for little dogs... they are great!

One last picture... Tim checking the score of a game because even though they are camping in a tent, you still need to know what's going on in the world around you!

Blessings!!


1 comment:

Melissa said...

cute pic of briana and jilli!! thanks for leaving out the gross camping pics of me. :( There was no spa at that campground! Tim tells me you're looking into places for us for this labor day?? Let me know what you find! Would love for you to join us this year :) xoxo