Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Holding Hands in 50 Years....

Ice Cream in hand I rounded the corner heading to the picnic tables and I spotted them. Sitting next to each other at a picnic table. They were watching all the children, they had smiles on their faces. They were laughing as the children laughed. They would look into each others eyes, whisper, smile and continue watching the little ones. I was immediately drawn to them.

They finished their ice cream, he stood up, held out his hand, she grasped it, stood up, and hand-in-hand they walked to the car together. He opened the door, she got in, he shut the door for her, walked around to his side, climbed in and drove away.

What I would have given for a half an hour of their time. Time I am sure they would have given had I asked. What was their story, how did they meet, when did they fall in love, did they have any struggles, how many children did they have, how many years have they been married, what was their secret to a long and happy marriage.
The picture I took of this beautiful couple speaks to my heart. It brings tears to my eyes. Here is a couple that have gone through life together, and they stayed together. I am sure that life wasn't always easy, but they chose each other, they stood by each other, and in their final stage of life they are still loving each other.

I have made mention on how big this weekend was. Satan had all his arrows pointing at a family, he was trying to destroy it and this weekend was the last effort. But we were praying and asking God for a miracle. As we sat at the fire late into the night, I know a war was being waged above our heads in the spiritual realms. When I made mention that the breakfast of champions was bittersweet was because at that time, we had given our all, we had fought the fight and we had to sit back and wait to see who was victorious.

Marriage isn't easy, it is a daily choice of laying down your selfishness for someone else. Love is also a choice, there are days that you don't have those butterfly feelings towards the other person and if you let the lack of feelings start to run your thoughts and choices, you will be heading down a very painful path. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence, sometimes you just have to take the time to fertilize your own grass and then it will be greener than any grass you have ever seen.

Look at the picture.... I don't know this couple's story, but I can tell it's one of love. You can't see their faces in this picture, but I can tell you there was love written all over them. That's what I want. I want to look like that 50 years from now. I want some young women to take a picture of Kevin and I walking hand in hand after eating ice cream. I want to leave a legacy of love and faithfulness to my husband, for my children.

As I close out my postings about Hoffmaster it is with a smile. We had a great time and are looking forward to this years trip. Every family that went last year will be coming back for round two. Our prayers have been answered and are continuing to be answered. God worked and is working a miracle in our friends' marriage. We added a new little small group member this past winter and are excitedly anticipating another little members arrival this summer. And in 50 years, with prayer and perseverance we will all have pictures taken of us holding hands walking off into the sunset.

Blessings!!

2 comments:

bethany said...

I loved reading all the blogs about our weekend and I loved looking at all the pictures you took. What a great time. I can't wait for June. It will be Dominic's first camping trip. I'm thinking that this time though, he's not going to want to be doing handstands in the water with me like he had to last time! :)Thanks for reminding us what a fabulous weekend we all had together.

Anonymous said...

Lyn, I'm wiping happy tears from my eyes as I try and type this. Well said. Well said. I remember that couple.