The day at the airport was so much more than watching Grandpa re-live part of his past. Although it was the majority, it wasn't everything. I enjoyed watching my children marvel at all the awesome aircraft, get to try out some of the gear that our soldiers wear while fighting for our freedom. I loved talking to the men and women of our armed forces, listening to their stories, asking questions, and learning all I could about them in a very short period of time.

One of the people I spoke with was the pilot of the helicopter (he is the one standing in the front of it). He told me so much about the machine and what it did. He explained how different it was to fly a helicopter then one of the jets. He explained what all the instruments were and how each worked when flying the machine, then he told me that they were being deployed in two weeks. When I asked where, he said that he would find out when the plane landed and depending on the temperature he would know where he was. The sacrifice that these men and women (and their families) make is beyond words to me. I thank God so many are willing to offer their lives to keep my family safe...
These next pictures are of the kids in the helicopter.

Tyler LOVED pretending to fly the helicopter. The pilot even commented that he could be flying one in his not to distant future...
All three kids were able to sit in a humvee, and mess with all the controls in it too. They were able to climb through the opening in the top and look through a very high tech set of binoculars (I have no idea what it's called). I do know it had night vision and that was really cool. Micah was tall enough to see through it without assistance, but Tyler and Jilli needed a little help. It was so sweet to see this young kid pick them up so they could take a look.

Tyler and Jilli even got to try on the vests and hat that the army wears. They were VERY heavy and they didn't even have all the gear on them. I was told that the extra gear would add about 40 pounds (the vest felt like about 30 pounds to start with). I couldn't believe it and they wear them in extreme heat!

This last picture I just have to add because I love how the two are standing so much alike. Funny how even the way we stand can be passed down through our genetics.

I hope you enjoyed seeing the pictures and reading the stories of this special day as much as I have enjoyed sharing them.
Blessings!!






No comments:
Post a Comment