I took the kids to visit my Grandparents today. I was a bit nervous about the visit. Not sure what I should expect when I arrived. My Grandparents had moved into a home 2 weeks ago and my Grandfather has been failing quickly. Yesterday the report was that he wasn't eating and was "unresponsive".
I had prepared the kids as best I could. We talked about how Grandpa probably would look like he was sleeping either in his chair or his bed. We talked about how even Grandma might be tired and laying in bed. We had a long talk about how when we get old our bodies get very tired and they just can't do the things that they used to do. We talked about how Grandpa was getting ready to see Jesus in Heaven and once he is there how he will be able to run, bike, and of course, slide down huge mudslides (yes, we believe that will be one of God's ways of having fun... mudslides).
Tyler took great care picking out his clothes for the day. He was going to wear his special hat. Grandpa's hat... Last week we went to their house and went through some of their things and picked out a few things that would be special to us. One of the things that Tyler took was Grandpa's hat. Although it is a little big, it fits Tyler to a "T". All the stories that I have heard about my Grandfather and what he was like growing up, reminds me so much of my Tyler. So it was appropriate that my son would chose Grandpa's hat.

When we arrived at the home and got to see my Grandparents it was a surprise to see my Grandpa sitting in his chair awake. I smiled at him and said "hi" and walked over to give him a kiss (because Grandpa LOVES kisses... especially from pretty ladies my Grandma used to tell me). Then he spotted Tyler walking in the room with the hat on. His eyes got big and so did his smile. A stroke stole his speech many years ago, but you always know what he is thinking by the way his eyes light up and he thought it was great that Tyler was wearing his hat. He kept looking at Tyler and kind of chuckling. It was a beautiful moment. One that I am thankful I didn't cry a bucket of tears right then and there (the tears came after we left).

The kids did great, they were quiet and respectful. They were animated telling stories to Grandma and quiet when talking to Grandpa. They hugged and kissed them both when we arrived and when we left. It was a good morning, one that I am so thankful we had.
I pray that we will get to see them again before my Grandpa takes his final breath. I would love to have some pictures of the kids with Grandpa and Grandma. I did take my camera today, but the opportunity wasn't right. So if God calls Grandpa home before I have a chance to take pictures, I will have the ones that I took in my head with me forever.... and let me tell you they are some of the best I have ever taken...
2 comments:
Okay,So that brought tears to my eyes!!
Mom P.
So cute!!! Yeah, the last time I saw Grandpa, I was balling!!! He kept saying 'it's ok'. Hoping it works out to get home and visit them in May... and see cutie Jillian dance!! :)
Post a Comment