
Micah and I just got done reading his history lesson for the day. It was about Moses, the 10 plagues, and the freeing of the Israelites from the rule of Pharaoh. After we were done reading Micah said that if it had been the clone troopers they would have needed light sabers and swords. Seeing an opportunity that I didn't want to give up, I sat down at the table and asked him to tell me what he was thinking.
He explained that in Star Wars there was always weapons. They never fought without them. I told him that the Egyptians had weapons, they had swords. He said that the Israelites didn't. I asked him what they DID have that the Egyptians didn't. He said God. I explained to him that is really all we need. I asked him if anyone died on Star Wars when there were battles, he said "Yes". I explained that not one Israelite lost their life in the Exodus from Egypt because they had God. I asked him if he knew what weapon we had to fight with and he told me the Bible, because it is called our sword.
I am not sure how much he understands. I don't know if he grasps how powerful the Bible is, that it is truly the only weapon we need. At times, I think most of us adults don't understand it's power. We don't tap into it, we don't read it, study it, drink it in. We let it sit on our tables, or on a shelf and collect dust.
I clean a house and I remember the first time I cleaned it, there was a Bible on the bottom of a coffee table. It was opened to Mark. I thought how awesome it was that someone who lived in the home was reading the Bible. Next time I went, it was still on the same chapter in Mark. Weeks went by and the Bible's pages were never turned. Around Christmas time, I turned it to Luke 2 thinking that maybe they would read the Christmas story. I don't think they ever did, as a matter a fact, as the weeks ticked by, more and more dust was piling up on the beautiful pages. After a few weeks I picked up the Bible and said, "I am sorry you only seem to get held by me once every other week." I dusted off the pages and closed it, laid it back on the coffee table and prayed that next time I came I would again find it opened. That was about 2 years ago, it is still closed. Every time I clean, it has dust on it. No one touches it, it is there simply for decoration.
How many of our Bibles are simply for decoration? How many are sitting on a table or bookcase covered in a soft blanket of dust just waiting for someone to discover it's power?
I am so thankful for the conversation Micah and I had, so thankful for the reminder that the Bible holds the keys to life, that it is truly all I need. God will meet me in the pages of His book and all I have to do is pick it up and read it.
Blessings!!
No comments:
Post a Comment