The kids and I were all around the table having breakfast. Something happened between Micah and Tyler and I was presented with a teaching moment. One that God had been preparing me for and I never realized it.

My pastor and I have been talking about forgiveness. The need to put aside your hurts and let God heal our hearts. He had just sent me a passage from the Bible to read: Matthew 18:21-35. I had just read that this morning, I also read a section on forgiveness, out of my booklet, The Steps to Freedom in Christ. Here are some of the critical points that I was studying.
1. Forgiveness is not forgetting.
2. Forgiveness is a choice, a decision of the will.
3. Forgive from your heart.
4. Forgiveness is choosing not to hold someones sin against him or her anymore.
5. Don't wait until you feel like forgiving (you will never get there).
6. Forgiveness is agreeing to live with the consequences of another person's sin.
#6 is the hardest for me to accept, but it was that very point that I had to try and teach my children this morning. How in the world do I get my children to understand something that I have a hard time doing.
I gave it my very best, for I know how important it is to instill into my children the blessing of forgiveness. How much better life will be for them if they learn this now as children. Can you imagine a life of no bitterness and resentment? That is what I want for my children and that is what God wants for ME (and you)!
We are all living with the consequences of someone else's sin, the only choice is whether to do so in the bondage of bitterness or in the freedom of forgiveness. Where is the justice in that?? The Bible teaches us that "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord" (Romans 12:19). So here is the deal, I don't need revenge, because God has my back and he will get it for me....and honestly, God knows where and how to do it best. He knows our weak points, and takes us to a place where he can teach us, refine us and bring us back to a place of wholeness. A journey that I know well.
Since this morning, the kids and I have been talking a lot about forgiveness, what it looks like and how to do it. I am having to teach my children a lesson that God has been teaching me and to be completely honest is probably the hardest thing I have had to teach, because it is one of the hardest things for me to do. To be OK with the consequences of someone else's sin, no matter what they may be, is so beyond me.
Last night I was watching Biggest Loser (much to my husbands dislike) and Abby one of the contestants was talking about getting her wings back after her husband and two children were killed in a car accident. Her family was killed 5 miles from their house by a man going over 100 mph. SHE is living with the consequences of someone else's sin and is moving on to forgiveness. In that story I was seeing a point that God has been trying to get me to see. That even if my worst fear is realized, that my family is destroyed, by death or divorce, that there is life and forgiveness on the other side. That I will survive and move on if I can just learn this one principle.
Bitterness steals from your soul joy and peace. Forgiveness frees your soul to have joy and peace. What a gift you can give yourself to forgive the person/people who have caused you pain.
There is life and happiness after pain!
Blessings!!
**After I published this post I went to my little flip cards with prayers on them. I have one for the kids and one that I pray for Kevin. Guess what the prayer was for the kids....
Forgive those who hurt my children or speak unkind words about them. Teach my children to walk in forgiveness, and to love even their enemies. I thank you that they can rejoice in trials and struggles because those tests develop perseverance. My children will fight the good fight and keep the faith.
.....Only God could plan that!!
1 comment:
WOW! God is working on you and I at the same time in the area of forgiveness. I love your post. I love your honesty.
Let's learn this lesson. Really learn it. So we don't have to take another test in this subject!!!!!
Post a Comment