Monday, March 23, 2009

Justice

Tonight was amazing. I was in awe, loving every minute of gazing upon God's majesty.

When I was a child one of the things that my parents always had us involved in was bird watching. We had to take a million nature walks and the whole time we were trying to find all the birds we could. We always had at least one bird book to reference. When we went camping the bird book was almost as important as the Bible. We would go on Saturday mornings to the Audobun meetings. We learned how to recognize a bird by it's song or the way it flew. Even back then though, I was completely amazed by the raptors (birds of prey).

In my childlike mind, the eagles and hawks were the most majestic. I loved to watch them soar. That God created them to glide through the wind currents, just amazes me to this day. When I see a bird soaring, I stop and just watch...

Tonight I stopped and watched...As a young man showed us a beautiful red-tailed hawk named Justice. We went outside and watched him fly, it was very windy here tonight, so Dustin, the Falconer, had him tethered to a long line so he wouldn't fly too high. Dustin said that when there is a lot of wind, they like to go up very high and soar, and he didn't want him that far away.


I learned so many things tonight. It was just amazing how God created the hawk, from his eyes (that see 10 times better than humans) to the size of the males and females, to the shape of their beaks. The artistry of God NEVER ceases to amaze me.

Micah, was able to "pet" the hawk. He was so brave, to be the first little boy to touch him. He also was able to feel the talons. That is really a once in a lifetime opportunity and I am so proud that he did it.
At the end of the meeting, all the kids were going home, I stayed back because selfishly I wanted to "pet" the hawk too. I wanted to feel his softness. I went up to Dustin and asked him if I too could touch him. He said sure, took my hand and let me stroke the proud bird. Then Dustin asked something that I NEVER thought was possible. "Would you like to hold him?" "Yes" was out of my mouth before I could think twice.


Very carefully he slowly removed his hand from his glove as I slowly put my hand in. Then before I knew it, this awesome bird was perched upon my hand, he wasn't very heavy, only 2.8 lbs. It was amazing feeling. I am so thankful that I was able to hold him. Micah kept asking if he could hold him (brave little boy, there were Mom's that wouldn't even come in the room because the hawk was there and he wanted to hold him too).
Amazing, Awesome, Majestic, Beautiful, Powerful.....Completely amazed by God's design...Completely amazed that this city girl and her son were able to see, touch, and hold one of God's amazing creatures...

Blessings!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

yikes...not sorry I missed that one....maybe next week....will it be bird free?

Anonymous said...

Tell Jennifer that next week we don't have scouts.

I dreamed about a bald eagle last night that was big as Jillian and sweet and friendly and came to see me - inches from my face. It was a neat dream.

Years ago I learned quite a bit about vultures and they have been my favorite bird ever since - so, so cool if you know about them. We had a ton of vultures that nested in our camp one summer. We spent many evenings watching them flying in for the night - it was amazing.

That's so cool that you got to hold Justice. I'd have liked to have been there for the whole meeting but I'm so busy getting ready for the Blue & Gold banquet.