Friday, August 21, 2015

Sweet Face

Over the course of my New York posts you will see the many faces of Lina.  Every one is adorable but don't let her sweet face fool you!  This little girl has spunk and an adventurous spirit that is hard to contain!  She will also let you know when she doesn't like something you are making her do.  It's a good thing I have gone to battle with a few strong wills in my 13 years of motherhood so I was not taken by surprise the first time we had a disagreement.  It's all about learning boundaries.  Most kids test those boundaries, they need to, they are trying to figure out their place in this world.  If I wasn't tested by a child I would worry about that child.

The key to the testing, is very basic.  Let your yes be yes and your no be no.

The other day I was sitting with a group of Moms.  One of them has a little girl who is 2.  She is adorable little blond hair blue eyed bundle of sugar that turns very opinionated the minute her Momma tells her no.  As soon as the little girl starts to object (by making loud noises, crying or even throwing an object) the Momma tries to pacify her by giving her other options or giving into her tantrum.  One of the other Momma's swooped in and very quickly told this young mother that her no has to be no.  You can't be wishy washy, give in or allow the child to throw a fit and get their way.  My Mom watched this all take place and in her very loving way told her that this other Momma was right.  You need to place boundaries around your kids, it takes work, especially if they have thrown a fit and gotten their way.  But the blessings in the long run outlast the work right now.  There is nothing I love to hear more than when someone tells me that my children are polite and well behaved.    I can't tell you how many waitresses have come up to Kevin and I and said "your children have been the most behaved children we have had in here in a long time."  Now my kids aren't angels, and Kevin and I aren't that great of parents.  We just followed the ageless advice of "let your yes be yes and your no be no." It's amazing how that one piece of parenting advice can change a whole family dynamic.  Once your kids know that no is no, there isn't fits of rage, there isn't screaming and throwing themselves on the floor.  I have seen some doozies over the years and walk away shaking my head because really, that child doesn't feel loved when they get their way.  It might be a momentary gloating, but really deep down they want boundaries, they want structure, it makes children feel safe and loved.

Well that was a rabbit trail I hadn't intended to write about... Let me show you some of the cuteness that I had to photograph.
We were getting a little reading in before nap time, but she is such a silly thing that she kept squealing and laughing.
Warning... the pictures that follow are are almost to cute to handle.  Her sweet face just begs to be kissed!
Love that little girl....

1 comment:

melissa said...

SUCH great pics of my little lina!!! love them. and i'll try to channel 'aunty lyn' with my no means no! however we are dealing with a pistol over here!! ugh.