Monday, December 16, 2013

Update and Rambles

My husband reminded me the other day that I was neglecting the blog.  It seems as if every time I sit down at the computer it is to edit pictures, get orders ready or deal with keeping our email box some what cleaned out.  By the time I am done working, my desire to stay on the computer and blog is gone.

I think I am all caught up on everything now, hopefully I can get back to blogging!

The Sun is showing it's pretty face today.  Last week was a long week of snow.  I love snow, I love the coziness that it brings, but there is something uplifting about the sun.  As it shinning off the snow on my deck it makes the snow look like a million small diamonds sparkling.  Just gorgeous!

So Christmas is just over a week away.  I'm not in panic mode yet, but we haven't gotten everything.  I actually did some shopping from my couch yesterday.  The internet is a beautiful thing.  Since the person I bought for doesn't own a computer and she really has no idea what a blog even is I think it's safe to disclose my purchase here before Christmas.

I work for this beautiful sweet elderly lady named Betty.  I might have spoken of her here before, If you are part of my everyday life, you have heard me talk about her.  She is such a blessing to me.  She taught me how to make old fashioned pie crust.  Even using old sheets/pillow cases soaked in water over the edges to prevent from burning the crust.  She is a wealth of information that will be lost if someone doesn't tap into her knowledge, thank goodness God placed me in her home to learn from her!

Going on a quick tangent....
The 'GREEN' movement really isn't new, it's very old and if we would just listen to our grandparents we would glean so much information!  We go to books, and the internet to find information, but really, if you find someone old'er' and ask them questions you will gain so much knowledge, much more than from the books that claim to have all the answers.  Don't get me wrong.  Books have their place (especially old books) and the internet is a great source of information, I use both all the time... I just think we have forgotten our greatest resource, our elderly population!

OK, back to Betty...
I have been thinking about giving her something for Christmas.  Then last week she gave my family a Christmas gift and when I was opening my mouth to protest and she cut me off and said "Now Lyn, don't go stealing my joy, I have no one to buy for and I wanted to buy for you and your family."  What do you say to that??!!  So I smiled and excepted her gift and it is sitting under my tree waiting for Christmas morning.

She is not expecting a gift in return.  I could totally have the kids draw her pictures with thank you notes and she would be over-the-moon happy.  But I really wanted to do more.

She has had a hard year, surgery that has taken away her ability to care for her home the way she likes too, an unknown sickness that leaves her spent, diabetes that is slowly killing her body. She has lost 2 husbands to cancer and her children each present with their own set of difficult circumstances.  Even though she struggles at times, she works hard at maintaining the Joy of the Lord.

About 2 months ago we were switching her home from being set up for summer to being set up for winter and she mentioned in passing that she has lost all her handkerchiefs except two.  She was sure she didn't take them to the hospital for surgery or to the rehab place, but she can't find them.  We even took her winter purse out to check in there to see if she left them in there.  She then told me she had received a beautiful handkerchief for her birthday several years ago, but it wasn't made out of cotton and so it didn't do the job very well.  She had also checked many stores for new handkerchiefs, but they are not as widely available as they used to be (darn kleenex... how much money could we save if we went back to handkerchiefs?!)

Anyway... I had locked this information away for 2 months, yesterday I hauled it out in search of cotton handkerchiefs that I could buy for Betty for Christmas.  Here is where the internet is wonderful!  I found a company, I have no idea from where, that still sold old styled handkerchiefs.  Beautiful white cotton with a little lace around the outside.  Just like what I remember from my childhood!  Hopefully they will be as serviceable as they are pretty.  I also plan on baking her some little treats that she can keep frozen and take out on occasion because even a diabetic likes a little treat every once in awhile!

So that was my little Sunday purchase.  I thought it quite fitting that I was buying handkerchiefs on Sunday... the day that my Mom used to slip one into my little purse before we left for church in the morning.  I thought I was so grown up with that little handkerchief!!  Handkerchiefs were also the first thing I was allowed to iron.  I must have been 5 or 6 when I started that lovely little job of ironing.

In other exciting news, Lord willing, I will be seeing little Lina in January!  SUPER excited about that!!  And a little nervous, it's been 15 years since my last flight and somethings have changed since then.  But both Tim and Melissa assure me that its a piece of cake (coming from two people that have flown all over the world).  Come to think of it, everyone in my family has flown all over the world.  I am the only one who has never been out of the country besides Canada, and that really doesn't count.  The Love of my Life will be holding the fort down with the help of both sets of grandparents.  It will be very strange, I have never been away from all of them at the same time.  I might be a basket case the morning I leave...

OK, so I think I have caught up on some of the happenings over here and because I hate to post without a picture, here is one from our UP trip this past summer.  This was the first falls of many that we visited.
Goodness, what a beautiful family I have!!

Blessings!!

1 comment:

Nana's Pop Pop said...

Since you quit ironing my hankies, they have been wrinkled ever since. I use to know a place that had cotton ones. The board walk at Ocean Grove NJ.