I think I forgot to finish the last few pictures from our 2012 UP trip. So even though my blog is no longer in a chronological order, I am going to finish up that before I start our latest trip to the UP.
The day we chose to go to Mackinaw Island was cold, windy, and rainy. Thankfully while on the island it didn't rain, but it was bitter cold. Our trip over on the boat was a ride all it's own with the big waves that we had to cross!
This was Micah and Tyler's third trip to the island and Jillian's second, but they really didn't remember the last time we were there and since the other cousin's had never been, we decided to take the carriage ride to see a lot of the island without having to walk most of it. The added bonus was that the carriage ride had blankets for us to cuddle under while we rode around. It was still cold, but it made it bearable.
Most of you I am sure know about the island, but to those that don't.... Mackinaw Island is a car free zone. So everyone that lives there has to get around on bikes or by horse. It's like being transported back in time and if you close your eyes you can imagine what it would have been like in the late 1800's to early 1900's in every American city.
After our carriage ride, we did some quick shopping... October is a great time to shop the island, everything is on sale because the tourist season is over. Had lunch and bought some fudge (no trip to the island is complete without fudge).
These are the kinds of pictures you find when you ask your son to hold the camera while you are shopping...
Then we headed back to the boat for another wild ride back to the mainland.
Despite the weather not cooperating, we had a really great time and I doubt any of us will ever forget that cold October we went to the Island.
*******************
I don't remember ever posting this picture and since it is proof that I have witnessed a sunrise, I am going to quick post it.
Granted I shot this picture out the window of the trailer while I was still in bed... but that does not negate the fact that I saw a sunrise!






No comments:
Post a Comment