I think I mentioned before that while we were on the tour the rest of our family (11 in all) were waiting and watching us from the observation deck. Toni was gracious enough to share some of her pictures that she took of us while we were on the tour. I didn't think about including them from the beginning (my bad) so I am going to put the one she captured of us starting our tour and then the rest will be in order of the tour.
Here we are walking across the MacArthur Lock behind the Algolake.
Heading back down below river level... Mike showed us some of the "pulleys" that are used to open and shut the locks. I wish that I remembered all he said about them... but my memory if failing me... I apologize.
On our way back up to ground level, Mike took us into the old Sabin Lock control room. This lock is 100 years old and although they don't use it anymore, everything still works. It is truly amazing to see!
Mike then took us through the mailroom. It's kind of funny, 100 year old mailboxes, that are still used, with Target bags and Staples boxes on the counter. It was like stepping back in time and then being slapped across the face to bring you back to reality. As we were walking through one of the shipmates from the Mesabi Miner was coming to grab the mail for the crew. A few weeks ago (just after the Locks opened from their winter break) they had to close the Locks down due to a suspicious package in the mailroom. Our boat nerd buddies were telling us about it and I ever so nicely reminded them that I knew exactly what the mailroom looked like and where it was located in the building. (just a little friendly game we like to play... keeping up with the Jones') 

Back outside we went, and headed towards the side of the Mesabi Miner. Toni captured me taking.....
this picture......
He ended his phone call and told us follow him and while we were walking he explained what he had done.
He had called up to the control tower and asked if he could have permission to bring us up. He later explained that they normally don't do that with kids, but since ours were so well behaved he thought he would ask. Of course the rest of our family had no idea where we were heading. Toni explains it as one minute they saw us walking and then the next Paul sees us with his binoculars up in the tower. Toni lovingly captured this picture of Paul... I like to think that this is his way of using sign language to call my name. But we all know what he was really calling us :)
I am going to sign off here. I will wait to share the pictures that we captured in the tower for another day :) I just have to keep it suspenseful for my buddy Paul :)










No comments:
Post a Comment