There are a few overviews that are fun to swing through. It's so funny, because when I was a girl, and our family traveled I remember rolling my eyes every time we had to stop at an overview. Just wishing we could keep driving to get where ever we were going to, and now I love to stop and drink in all the views.
One of our stops we took some pictures of the kids together. You will note that one of my children is missing from the pictures. Tyler had picked up where I left off as a child with eye rolls and do we really have to stop questions. I knew that the next location we were trying to make it to, I wanted a family picture. So we made a deal, no picture of Tyler here, if he would do a nice picture with the family at the next stop.
The next stop was a lookout that We had never been too before. My parents have, but they were not with us, so we had to discover our own way there. We were not finding the right road, so I finally told Paul to stop and I would hop out and ask someone how to get to the lookout. There was a man and women by an old cottage moving some items into the house. I jumped out of the truck and asked them if they knew of the place we were trying to find and if they did, could they please point us in the right direction. The man, a little weary of my presence quickly moved into the house. The old women said that she knew where we wanted to go and we had to... "go back from whence you came." No lie, she seriously said that to me. After I got back in the truck and told Paul, Toni, and Kevin what she said we all laughed and laughed and laughed. None of us will ever forget the wise words spoken by the old women, they will forever be memorialized in our hearts, to be brought back out and used when necessary.
With the directions from the old women, we found the path that was needed to get us to our next location. It is a road that two cars can pass only at specific locations, but it is a glorious drive up the rolling golden mount. I feel sorry for Paul as he was the one driving and couldn't spend his time enjoying the splendor of the the trees.
And this is the view that greeted us....
Spectacle Lake with Lake Superior in the distance...
My handsome husband taking a closer look...
Our family picture (Tyler came through on our deal)...
Jilli's never ending quest to find the most beautiful leaves...
And then, what do our eyes discover, but an old cemetery. Most of you know my love of cemeteries. The history that you are looking at. The pain and heartache that just pulls at you. The tears of loved ones that once watered the soft green grass. I could have walked these quiet lawns for hours reading the names of people long since forgotten.
As I slowly strolled among the old headstones, it becomes very obvious that at one point many of these people had family that brought little tokens to their graves. And then my heartache turned into the sadness of knowing that many of these people and their families were lost to the hope of Life Eternal. Their beliefs lie in worldly offerings to spirits, and misconceptions of an afterlife. Had I been alone, I would probably have sat down under an old tree, and wrestled with the ever present question "why me?" Why was I chosen for this blessed life I live. Why did God bless me with the gift of faith? And why so many who have heard, don't believe or believe in worldly lies?
My heart hurts for those that have yet to find there way to a Savior that doesn't require trinkets and offerings. He just requires that we put our faith in Him. So often we rely on ourselves and our own understanding. It takes work and practice to lay aside our worldly wisdom and trust in His eternal wisdom. We just see a speck, He sees the whole pictures.
Right now the kids are working on memorizing the 23rd Psalm. I learned the King James version as a child, so I am relearning it along with them. "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside's quiet waters, He restores my soul."
Such beautiful words to remind us that he guides us and takes care of us...
He restores us, even when we are tired and broken...
The grave is just a place to lay our earthly bodies, and because of the cross, we have gift of eternal life.
Amen.


















1 comment:
Amen!
Post a Comment