Tawas is a beautiful state park located just above the thumb area of Michigan. It is nestled on the outskirts of an amazing little town that is full of early American charm. Kevin and I loved the spirit of East Tawas. Before my Grandma passed away I was talking to her about this trip we were planning and she told me that her and Grandpa used to camp at Tawas years ago. That made this trip all the more special to me, especially because as we left for this trip Grandma was breathing her last breaths on this earth.
On our first walk to the Tawas Lighthouse we discovered a delightful little bird that makes it's residence in the state park. The Baltimore Oriole. Now, some history on me and birds...
When I was a young girl, I was dragged to the Audubon Society meetings on Saturday mornings. It was during the time my siblings and I were being homeschooled, so it was considered part of our curriculum. Anyway, I learned all kinds of wonderful things about birds (and other animals), but mostly birds. I also come from two parents who love birds and grandparents that loved birds. So, I am kind of a bird girl whether I like it or not. When this little piece of information was discovered by our camping buddies I was loving referred to as the audubon lady.
So when we came upon these colorful little birds, I was kind of excited to see them and if my memory serves me correctly it was our camping buddy Paul that spotted them first. He of course referred to my bird knowledge as to the kind of bird they were. But as you can see in this picture, he stopped and watched, he shielded his eyes for a better look. This my friends, is a clear sign of a Jr. Audobon in the making.
As you can also see (in the background), my husband keeps on walking and doesn't display the yearning for knowledge I could bestow upon him. That is OK, though, because I have three little blond look-a-likes, that will receive the knowledge whether they like it or not....



No comments:
Post a Comment