Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Double Digits

PRAYER REQUEST UPDATE***************
The surgery went well.  The Doctors are doing some tests on the spinal fluid.  Jason will be transported to Washington DC to continue his recovery where his wife will finally be able to join him.  Thank you for praying for Jason and his family!!

****************************

Today is that lovely Hallmark Holiday that gets people to spend their hard earned money trying to tell their loved ones that they are loved.  When in reality, you should be actively telling those you love, YOU LOVE THEM, 365 days a year.  If this is the only day that you try to make special for your special someone... you are failing at making them feel special.  Just sayin.

But today is special to me for a totally different reason.  10 years ago, and 8 years ago today was my due date for both of my sons.  I know weird, but yes, they were both due on the same day.  Micah, I went into labor naturally, and Tyler they induced 2 weeks early.  Being that tomorrow is Micah's 10th birthday, today is the 10th anniversary of the last day of my childless life.



The day started like any other.  Heading off to work at the crack of dawn (so glad those days are behind me).  Sitting at my desk, listening to all the patients ask me why I wasn't having that baby yet.  Hearing how big I was (for the record I only gained about 22lbs).  Then I went home and Kevin and I decided to go out for dinner since it was Valentines day (last valentines date we have had:)  Couldn't find a restaurant that we didn't have to wait 2 hours for so ended up at a little restaurant that no longer is around (it must not have been Valentine's Day worthy because there was only old people and us there).  That was it, we went to bed and I woke up in the early hours of the morning in labor.  February 15, 2002 my childless days were over and my parenting days had begun.

This past Sunday we celebrated Micah's passage of single digits to double digits.  Can we stop the clock now?  I feel as if I am trying desperately to hold onto something that just keeps slipping through my fingers.  I keep teasing my kids that they aren't allowed to get any older, and they laugh and tell me they can't stop.  I want to hold these days tight, I want to cherish the time I have with them as children, I want to slow down time so that I have as much time to teach them all that I can.  I look forward to seeing the plans God has for them, but I don't want to rush a single day, I love being a mom to a 10, 8, and 6 year old!

One of the gifts he received at his birthday party was a Bible from my parents.  His name is on it, it's the coolest boys Bible I have ever seen.  When I was his age, I got to pick between brown, black or blue.  His is army green, brown, and orange, yup, that cool.  After most of the guests, except our best friends, left, we decided to order pizza for dinner.  As our families were gathered around the dinner table to pray, Micah grabs his Bible, and informs us that he would like to read from scripture before we pray and eat.  What does he choose to read?  He read what any son of his father would, the most logical place, Genesis 1:1-2.  No place better to start than at the beginning!

After the gifts had been opened, the cake put away (we still have some Uncle Timmy, if you care to fly this way), and the house put back to normal.  I was tucking Micah into bed, I asked him what his favorite gift was.  He didn't even skip a beat.  He said "The Bible Mom, you know, I don't think most kids my age even have one."  My eyes of course did their own thing despite the fact I told them to turn off the water.  But you know he is right.  You of course have the christian education kids that are required to have one, but other than that, most kids his age, don't.  But his Bible isn't a class book, it isn't a required course he has to take, it is his personal life guide, one that I pray he will open and use regularly.  One that he can stake his life on.  It's his sword, his weapon, his direct line to God.

I still have my first Bible, it was brown, but regardless of the cover on the outside, what is on the inside is what is life changing.  It's the place I go for wisdom, it's my weapon, it's my comfort, it's my life guide. I hope and pray it is yours too.

Blessings!!



2 comments:

Mom P. said...

I still have my first Bible, too..A King James Leather Bound zipper Bible..

Kaira said...

Happy Birthday, Micah!