Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Horses, Long Hair, 1800's... pretty random...

Oh Goodness it's been busy around here. So much to do and so little time to do it. Just got back from an incredibly fun weekend camping with friends (pictures to come) and are on the brink of leaving again for another round of camping adventures. Having a hard time catching my breath, but loving every minute of the loads of friends and family time we have been having the last month.

Sadly I am still blogging about our June camping trip, the beginning of summer, and here it is the end of summer but our camping is only half over! Yippy, cuz I LOVE fall camping!!

On one of our walks around Ionia we wandered over to the horse camping area. The lots are huge and grassy and beautiful, but they have no electric, no bathrooms, and a wheel-barrel for "waste". Now if I had a horse, you might be able to talk me into camping over there, but since the closest thing to a horse is Romeo, I have no reason to "rough it" with out electricity.

While we were walking through the horse camp sites, we came upon a young couple with two horses. The young lady asked the kids if they wanted to see one of the horses, and proceeded to walk one of them up to the kids to pet. The kids asked lots of questions and she answered lots of questions. I asked her what she did for a living and it came as no surprise that she is a 2nd grade teacher.
Micah, petted the horse for just a short time, Tyler didn't even want to go by it, but Jilli...
She is like her Momma, she couldn't get enough of the horse.

It made her day.

That leads me to the "if only". This past weekend, our friends and I were talking about living in the 1800's and they all thought that I would be able to live back then (as long as I had long hair), and If I lived back then, then I would more than likely have at least one horse, and my kids could grow up living in the time of simplicity. D..R..E..A..M.... but a good one. I would love to live back then without the technology of today, without the busyness that just consumes our lives which is really very meaningless. Instead of blogging I would be out in the yard picking out our dinner from the chickens that are running around, the kids would be milking the cow so we would have milk to drink and Kevin would still be building with wood, but without the nail gun:-)

The closest think we get to that, is camping, and that is not very close since we camp in the Taj with all the comforts of home. Oh well, the good thing is, that at the very least, my friends all believe that I could live without the comforts of home, as long as I have long hair. So, I am growing my hair out until I decide (next month) that I want it short again. Since I am not living in the 1800's might as well live it up with short hair!

Blessings!!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I can't keep up with your hair plans! I guess I'll plan on putting my scissors away (for now)! I think we both should have been living back then..what a blast...truly.