I love all things old. I love history (even though I failed my Civil War class in 9th grade...that's a whole other story). I love all old buildings. I try to imagine myself back in the period of time when the building was at it's pinnacle. So when we found this great little school house, it was love at first sight.

This is Sessions School House. Built in 1847 it is the oldest cobble-stone building in Michigan. It was built on Alonzo Sessions property, hence the name Sessions School house.
Alonzo Sessions had a hard life in his early years. He was born to a poor family in New York. He was a good student and ended up being a teacher for a few years before he left his native state, to walk on foot to Michigan. His interesting life leaves me wishing that I had known him. He had 13 children with his wife Celia, all of whom he wanted to have a good education. That is why he built a school house on his property. He was a very stern man, but one who commanded respect. He was said to be a pessimist in the measure of men's characters and motives. He was an honest man, a man who's views did not waver. He farmed 800 acres and became a very wealthy man. At his death he was survived by his wife and 7 of his 13 kids. There is so much more to this man that I wish I could write about.

1 comment:
Tyler hit that pose right on! : ) It's almost like he's made that face before : )~
-Kelli
Post a Comment