Back in June (yes, I am that far behind), we always take a week and go camping with Kevin's cousin's family. This year we decided to change it up a bit and instead of going to our usual campground we went to Holland State Park.
Disclaimer.... not one of my most favorite state parks. We were in the wooded section, which is better then the beach parking lot (literally, thats where you camp on a parking lot... not my idea of camping). It also didn't help that we had to set up in the rain, pouring rain, and that we *cough* forgot to fill up our fresh water tank before we parked the rig. Our lot had a big sticky pine tree that was just intent on wanting to rub down the side of our trailer as we were parking it (Kevin was kind enough to help the state park trim that tree up). I was also not a huge fan of the fact that the main road in Holland was right on the other side of the tree line, which made for lots of street noise. I know, I know, I sound like a picky camper.
Even though I was not a huge fan of the campground, I am a fan of the family we were camping with and the activities that we do while camping.
One of the activities we did was ride our bikes to Tunnel park. It was a couple mile bike ride, once there, the kids would play on the toys and run down the sand dunes.

I even took a turn running down the dunes...

We also hiked up to a look out. You had to climb lots and lots of stairs. Here is the view that you saw at the top.
If you look close enough you can see the channel (not a photographic masterpiece, but it gives you the idea). Then you have to walk all the way back down the stairs...
As always we take a picture of all the kids during one of our activities, here is this years
Pretty much we spent every day at the beach. It was my first time at Holland State Beach and really the first time I have been to a public Lake Michigan Beach since I was in high school (lets not do the math on that one). I have to say that I am glad the kids were more interested in swimming and playing in the sand than looking at the people walking by. Have Mercy, some people need to learn how to pick a swim suit based on their body type, not their dream body type!
There was even time to do some fishing (not my favorite thing to do), that is why we only fish when Daddy is with us.

There was one disappointment during the week.
A big storm was moving in, the sky was getting dark. The ranger came around and told us that he wasn't telling us to leave, but that there was a bad storm coming and that we needed to be prepared for it. The storm had produced 75 mph winds. This particular storm blew out windows in the Sears Tower. Kevin was hoping to see some pop-up campers roll in the storm. We prepared as best as you can, and then waited for the storm to hit. The sky was black and bubbling and there was a big wind gust, but nothing that worried us, there was a ton of flashes of lightning, but it was all to the south of us, we didn't even get much thunder. It rained a little and then it was over. So much for a good storm. It totally missed us.

Between you and me, I was glad that it missed us. I don't mind a good storm and some rain, but I can do without the 75 mph winds.
Blessings!!
No comments:
Post a Comment