Like last year, I will be running the 5/3rd Riverbank Run 10k (6.2 miles). When I read 6.2 miles I think nothing of it..... It's really not that far, until I am actually out running 6.2 miles. You just don't realize the distance that it is, until your feet are hitting that pavement for an hour. then I get tired just thinking about it. I am, however, really excited about the race and started training for it last week.
Sunday was a beautiful day for a run. Not too cold, not too sunny, it was perfect. I was 1.5 miles into my run when I looked down to watch the footing of my feet (I was running the trail by my house and hit a small patch of snow and ice). When I looked down I felt a pain in the back of my neck. Not sure what it was I kept going and the pain got worse and worse. By mile 2 I was convinced that I did something to my neck, but didn't want to stop running because I needed to log my miles in for the week. Kind of dumb I know, but I finished out my run, came home, took my shower and felt the full effect of whatever I did to my neck.
I took meds to help relax my muscles, meds to mask the pain, meds that made me sleepy, but nothing helped. I couldn't move my neck at all. I couldn't even lay down in bed. Kevin propped me up with 5 pillows to try and make me comfortable. By Monday morning, I knew that whatever I did to my neck wasn't going to get better on it's own, so I called the chiropractor. Thankfully I could go straight there to be adjusted (note** driving is difficult when you can't move your neck). After the adjustment he told me to go home, keep icing my neck and relax. I kindly reminded him that I have 3 very active children that I homeschool and relaxing isn't a school subject I teach.... but that I would try my best.
Tuesday morning I could move my neck better, but it was still very painful. Went back in for another adjustment and was told that the pain I was feeling should lessen over the next few days and I should be able to run again by next week. Thank goodness, because I am going to have to catch up on my training schedule after taking a week off, not looking forward to that!
Today, I am moving around much better, my neck still has pain but I can move it without screaming ouch. A few more days of rest (whatever that is) and I should be ready to hit the pavement again, if I can find it with all of this white stuff that keeps falling!!! Spring Where Are You!!
Blessings!!
1 comment:
Did you actually fall or just twist wrong? I hope you are feeling better---
Post a Comment