Thursday, May 15, 2014

St. Paul's Chapel

I have some pretty incredible pictures (at least to me) that I am going to share with you today.  But first I need to share with you a picture that makes me laugh every time I see it.

Tim, Lina, and I just exited "the tunnel" (I don't know the proper name for it) and Tim pointed out a gentleman that had a very unique jacket/hat on.  He stood out like a sore thumb so of course I had to photograph him.

Let me explain why he stood out so much (besides the fact he was dressed in fur from head to almost toe).  I very quickly discovered that New Yorkers have rules about what to wear during winter months.

Rule #1 Your Jacket must be black or a form of black (like gray or dark gray).  I regretfully didn't inform my sister of this rule before her trip to NY (she wore her bright green jacket).

Rule#2  Hunter boots are the footwear of choice for women.  Comfortable, durable, water proof... perfect for all the walking you do in NY especially during the winter months where I think it's more wet, than snowy.

If you ever go to NY (which I think all people should at least once in their lifetime) and it's during the colder months, make sure you wear black!

You all know my love for history and places that have history wrapped up in them.  Let me introduce you to the oldest public building still in use in Manhattan.  This church was built in the colonial era, it's the only church from this time that remains.  Here is the coolest part though... In 1789 George Washington came to this church to pray after he was inaugurated as the first president of the United States.

St. Paul's Chapel

I love how our first president knew the importance of prayer.  I will be writing more on this subject in the next week or two, but it hits me right in the heart.  How prayer was so important to the man who will forever be remembered as one of the best presidents of this country.  I am sure that he was feeling the full weight of the responsibility that was just bestowed upon him and he turned to the only One that could give him the peace and wisdom he needed to run this new nation.  Amazing.. thought provoking.. humbling..

St. Paul's Chapel is beautiful.  I walked passed it often during my visit.  I would love to go back to this place and be still for awhile.  Thousands of people are racing by this church everyday, and who stops to truly see this church for what it is, a holy ground, a place that has been since the birth of our nation, a place that God was called upon by some amazing men, a place that God met with them and walked with them during some very scary times in our history.

Tim and I walked among the gravestones.  They are broken, crumbing, and beautiful.  The Chapel is located very close to ground zero and when the towers fell the ash and dust covered the grounds.  It was very thick, the tops of gravestones peaked out of the grey dust.

Here is a picture I found on the internet after 9/11.
The Chapel was open for people to go through, it is right now set up as a 9/11 Memorial.
I took this picture of a sign that explains why all the pews were so scratched up.

Here is one of the pews...
A uniform worn by a fireman on 9/11.

I believe that most of the items in the church will be moved to the new 9/11 museum when it opens later this month.

Even though the steeple stands no chance of towering over the huge buildings that now surround it, it still stands in strength for the significance that it has as part of our nations history.  Even the history as recently as 9/11.  As the huge towers fell, St. Paul's Chapel stood as a shelter for those that lived and worked at ground zero.


1 comment:

melissa said...

come to nyc in the summer... everyone wears lots of color!! :)