Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Sweet 16 and Counting

This past weekend we hit another milestone in our lives.  Part of me can't believe it and the other part of me has a hard time remembering life any differently.

Kevin and I are beating the statistics by God's grace.  16 years, I have almost been married longer than my pre-Kevin years.... just a few more months and we tip the scales the other way.

I can honestly say marriage grows sweeter with time.  Kevin and I have moved to a place where we work so well together, it hard to imagine life without the other.  We enjoy just being together.

When I was a young women I remember my Mom telling me that when I married I had to work hard at finding hobbies to do with my spouse.  That to create a life long friendship takes work, but it is well worth the effort.  I have taken my Mom's advise to heart.  Over the years we have discovered things that we enjoy doing together, we have found hobbies we both like.  Our friendship has continued to grow.

My Mom also told me that these hobbies you create together will help you through the years as your children grow up and leave your home.  So often, after the children are gone, spouses find out there isn't much they have in common anymore.  As Kevin and I were having dinner Saturday night together, we talked about how we continue another 16 years together.  The next 16 years we will see our children grown and move out, starting families of their own.  We will need our hobbies to help bridge that gap.  Especially me, who's sole purpose has been to raise and equip my children for life outside of my jurisdiction.

Few men in my life do I have as much respect for as I do Kevin.  As I was standing next to him in church on Sunday and we were singing praises to our Savior, I looked up at him, and was overwhelmed with love for this man.  Kevin has stood as the head of our family protecting us from all that the world throws at us.  I look at him and see a man of strength, a man who knows what he believes and stands strong when others crumble around him.  I see a man who takes the role that God has given him willingly, he is our leader.  I see a man who has been gifted with an amazing talent and uses it to provide for his family.  I see a man who earnestly tries to do his best in all that he does.  A man of Strong Character, a man of Honor, a man of Integrity.

This is for my Children... Satan speaks many lies that the world happily believes.  Satan says that not all men can be men who are leaders and that most men are spineless and worthless.  God says that the Man is the head of his household.  So boys, learn how to be a great leader from your Daddy, he has modeled it well for you.  Jilli, someday you will be a wife, I pray I modeled for you how to stand strong next your husband, but not take his leadership role away from him like so many women do.  Submission is not a bad word, it is a strong women who can submit and honor her husband.  And kids, when life gets hard and you want to give up, hold strong, God's blessings for marriage are on the other side of the storms.  You will grow as a husband and wife through the bad times and soar through the good.  Love God above all else, then your spouse, then your kids... in that order.  Daddy and I are enjoying the blessings of God because we didn't give up when the world said to give up, we held tight to God when nothing else made sense.  Our prayer is that years from now we will celebrate your anniversaries with your spouses, and our family's legacy of beautiful loving marriages will continue!

No comments: