Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Graduation Part 1

Ok, so here we go.  The reason we went to DC in the first place was to be at my brothers graduation.  I am a little proud of his accomplishments and could brag about him until the cows jumped over the moon, but I am sure he would roll his eyes and blush and get all embarrassed.  So.. I will control my boasting and just stick to the facts... at least the facts that I can share...

There are times when were are "in the moment" that we really question what the "plan" for our life is.  There are times that we wonder why we are going through what we are going through.  There are times that we wished big decisions would just be made for us instead of us struggling to make them ourselves.  There are times that even once the decision is made we question ourselves.  Question if this is really the right change for our life.  Well, several years ago my brother started a process that took him down that road of uncertainty, a road that I think he and his wife just got off of a few short months ago.  Honestly, looking back over Tim's life I can say that... God has been preparing him for this time and place in his life.

I don't even know when my brother applied for this position.  I remember hearing about it in passing conversations.  I remember hearing that there is like 75,000 applicants for this certain job (in one year) and only 3% get called back for "interviews" and of those 3% only a few are selected.  The process took (I think) 2 years until Tim received word that he was accepted.

Then the waiting for his training began.  He would have to move away from his beautiful wife for 6 months, go through unbelievable physical and mental training, and IF he passed could end up anywhere in the US.  There were other factors, like leaving his secure job, dealing with their house that they own, packing up 10 years of life, the uncertainty of the new job in a new location.

Then he got his training date.  Then his training date was cancelled due to the idiots people that work in DC.  He was told that it could be two years before he got a new date.  All the questions of if this was the right decision probably reared it's ugly head.  Basically you put your life on hold for two years waiting for a training that you might not even be able to pass.  Why go through all of that.  He had almost 10 years at his current job, a house, a life.  But looking back, God was waiting for the perfect time.  It only took a few months before word was received that a new class was starting and he was in it.  But those few months cleared up some questions with his current job, and gave some extra time to prepare for the move from their house.

The long 6 months of brutal physical and mental training began.  But I think that the worst part of those 6 months was the separation of husband and wife.  I have written about it before, but it was emotionally very difficult for both of them.  I can't even imagine...

But as the months went past and tests were passed, it started to become clear that outside a debilitating injury (which other people had experienced) Tim would pass (and with flying colors.... I am allowed to brag a little right?!)  We were given his graduation date and the planning for the trip began.

A side note... for this trip I had to give out my full name (& those of my children) along with my social security number for background checks more times than I can count on both hands.  If background checks are anything like credit checks, I'm in trouble... my name has too many hits on it from this little trip!  Oh yeah, and radiation from going through all the check point scanners going in and out of all the DC buildings.  We didn't even fly there!  We got so used to removing belts, keys, wallets, cameras... standing with legs spread and arms out for the scan to go over you that it was difficult not to disrobe when entering any building!

Well, the big day finally arrived and with it, smiles from all who traveled to witness this once in a lifetime occasion.  Especially from Tim's wife, who after 6 months was FINALLY getting her husband back...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aaawwwww!! we're so cute!! and i was thrilled to get my husband back... finally!!