Friday, January 6, 2012

Illness Update

Jilli is a little better.  But not by much.  Last night I ended up in her bed for most of the night.  She was in the land in between sleeping and being awake.  Kev went in to kiss her (when he arrived home) and started moving her onto her pillow and she said she didn't want to be on her pillow because Mommy was coming to sleep with her.  Awww, so I climbed back in bed with her.  It was around 3am when she finally started to sleep sound enough for me to crawl back into my bed.

So, in light of our recent illness, I have some things that I do, to try and keep the rest of us on the up and up.

Quite a few years ago I was cleaning my Great Aunt and Uncles condo for them.  Every time I went, no matter what the weather, their bedroom window was always cracked open about 2 inches.  I discovered an old wives tale that said if you open your window a little each morning you would stay healthy.  Hmm...  Thinking upon this, I found much wisdom.  If you "air out" your room each day, you aren't sleeping in the same air as the night before, therefore cutting down on the chance you could get sick.  So on this crazy beautiful day (hard to believe it's 50 in January!!! With sunshine no less!!) I have all our bedroom windows cracked.  I have windows on the main floor cracked and I even opened the slider a little to help move the air through.

Second thing I do is run my essential oil diffuser like a crazy women.  I use several different kinds, but the main one is Eucalyptus.  Eucalyptus essential oil is very inexpensive and amazing to have when dealing with cold like symptoms.  I put 6 drops in Jilli's bath water, close the door and let her soak in all the healing qualities on top of breathing all the goodness Eucalyptus has to offer.  Also, I put a few drops in her humidifier.  For those of you who buy the Vicks drops (for a humidifier), straight Eucalyptus is much cheaper, and my opinion, works better.  I also rub (diluted) Eucalyptus into Jilli's feet, and on her chest.  Yes she smells like a walking Vicks bottle, but the stuff works!

My children and I also take some different vitamins and natural supplements to keep sickness at bay.  And so far so good.  Now, I have not been feeling 100%, BUT, I have been in her face as she coughs all over me, I have been sleeping in her bed as her fevered body drips on me, I have been handling her used kleenex, I have been loving her very closely and so I believe all the supplements have held off the worst of the worst.

Finally, when we are in the battle of sickness the number one thing that I can't live without is prayer.  When we have the Master Physician, the Ultimate Healer, the Miracle Worker, a breath away from us, how dare we not call on Him for help.  If I want my baby better, how much more her Creator wants her better.  Last night I kneeled at her bed and called her body back into order, to function as Creator God made her body to function, I ordered her body to fight the infection, I spoke healing into her spirit.  I then prayed for myself, for energy, that my body maintains health and wholeness.  That I can be all she needs me to be in the hour that she need me.  Trust me, 2am is not the hour I would pick to be called upon.  The Lord knows that, and after the third night of having less than adequate sleep, I was able to rise and love my little girl.  Hour after hour.  Not once did my attitude change from love to frustration.  That was my answer to my earlier prayer.  No way am I, on my own, a loving person after 3 sleepless nights.  Only God could maintain a right spirit within me.  Just a note, prayer is not just the Momma's responsibility, Kevin prays over the children as well, but last night he wasn't here, so it was my honor to do it.

Ok, so I was going to start posting from our visit of the Capital Building when sickness broke free in our house.  And since, pictures of sick people, or even the sick people's care taker (trust me, I'm not looking so pretty), are not really internet worthy, I will show you The first picture I took in the Capital Building.

Our Tour started at Noon, notice the clock, we were there 5 minutes early and we were the first ones in line!

Blessings!!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it amazes me how God gives us the strength to deal w/ the little ones in the middle of the night. There are times that L wakes up and I just do NOT want to get up. But then I get in her room and see that little face that needs me, and it's totally worth it!!
-Kelli