Sorry I have made you wait so long to see pictures of Jilli's ears. Camping kind of takes priority and since it's just not smart to announce when I am away from home you are left to wonder why I'm not updating like I should.
Well, pierced ears is kind of a big deal in our family. My sister and I were both 13 before our Grandma took us to get them pierced. I wasn't going to make Jilli wait that long, but I wanted her old enough to understand the responsibility of taking care of pierced ears. She had been asking since shortly after she was 5 so we (I) decided that her 6th birthday would be a perfect time for the poking of holes.

She knew that it would hurt a little, her best friend had explained in great detail the whole process of getting your ears pierced. So even the putting the pen dots on her ears was not news to her.
She chose the perfect earrings. Thankfully the studs that you have a choice from have come a long way since I had my ears pierced!
Then the young lady made the dots on Jilli's ears and asked me if they were OK. This was what I wasn't looking forward to. A decision of permanency. I turned to Aunt Laurie (who has to be at all momentous occasions in Jilli's life because it just wouldn't be the same without her) and asked her what she thought. We finally decided that it looked OK and they could proceed with the hole punching.


I specifically asked them to do both ears at the same time. I think I was more nervous than Jilli was. Then the moment came. They told her to hold still. She took a big breath and held it. Then the shots were fired.

She looked right at me with huge eyes. I thought I was going to lose it.

Then the very skillful gun shooters quickly asked her if she would like to see her new pierced ears.


No tears were shed (at least none that will be reported) and after a short minute she was all smiles.
It was truly a big moment. One that will never be forgotten. Just last week I asked my Grandma if she remembered bringing my sister and I to have our ears pierced. Her face wore a little smile and she said "sure, I remember, you were 13." That was just over twenty years ago and she still remembers...
Since this is the only girl in our family, we had to do it up big, which required a crown for the occasion. One that said "Birthday Girl." It very quickly made it to her braided head and was not removed until bed.

Had to take a close up of the new pierced ear. Still a little red from the trauma.

We also let her choose one the the (rip-off) rides since this was her special birthday day. JayJay the Jet Plane was ride of choice for her. As you can see she was all smiles, her momentary pain forgotten.


Then the ultimate inspection...

His little girl is growing up faster and faster every day.
Blessings!!
No comments:
Post a Comment